Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sabertooth

Old 03-20-2007, 01:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default Sabertooth

Anyone shoot these? Wondering how they compare to the powerbelts as far as accuracy and if any one has used them on game. Thanks
Old 03-20-2007, 02:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Sabertooth

I have had excellat results both on target and deer,I never got a look at it it exited the deer leaveing a good size hole;they shoot about a 2inch group @ 100yd for me with 135 gr RS. Lee
Old 03-20-2007, 03:08 PM
Dominant Buck

I have been shooting them and finding very good accuracy with them. I have not had the opportunity to test them on an animal yet. I have been shooting the 250 and 300 grain out of my Knight Rifles. They do real well so far.

Old 03-20-2007, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Tenmilephenom

Anyone shoot these? Wondering how they compare to the powerbelts as far as accuracy and if any one has used them on game. Thanks
My brother shoots them and they penetrate and hold together very well compared to a Powerbelt. The PB shot at 150g with a 295g hollow point blow up when hitting shoulder blade instead of breaking the blade and entering the chest cavity killing the animal. The Sabertooth don't do that, since they are a strongerbullet. They are also 1/2 the cost of the PB.
Chap Gleason VA
Old 03-22-2007, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

I had the pleasure to met w/ the factory sales reps from Harvester @ our dealer show. They had exampes of the bullets in expansion shape after recover. I already carry their Claybuster shot shell wads.
Very impressive as well as the crush ribbed sabots.
As a distributor we brought the whole line in so I expext to see some good reports this next season. I learned of the Sabertooths here @ this forum....
SHills
Old 03-23-2007, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SHills

I had the pleasure to met w/ the factory sales reps from Harvester @ our dealer show. They had exampes of the bullets in expansion shape after recover. I already carry their Claybuster shot shell wads.
Very impressive as well as the crush ribbed sabots.
As a distributor we brought the whole line in so I expext to see some good reports this next season. I learned of the Sabertooths here @ this forum....
SHills
Amen. Good to hear that Harvester/Claybuster is getting out in the distribution channels now. I think they are an excellent bullet, from all that I have heard.

I have been very satisfied with the crush rib sabots in .452 Nosler Partition Pistol bullets 300g. I have used them 2 years with excellent results--easy loading, excellent accuracy for me (3" at 100 yards). The first year they were out, I had great difficulty finding them. I asked RMC Sports to special order some and they did,so I bought like 4 packs from them.This yearCabela and MidSouth Shooter supply also have them, so they are starting to hit the major retail markets. I feel most people pick a bullet and stay with it till death do them part. I use to be like that. Now I keep up on new bullet offerings and buy books on it ("Rifle Bullets for the Hunter A Definitive Study") to better understand bullet performance on whitetail and big game. There is definitely a science to ML shooting, from loading, powder selection, sights, aiming, bullet selection, ram rods, cleaning, swabing between shots, and on and on and on. If you know the best methods in all these different little areas you become a better ML hunter and enjoy the sport more and more, at least that is my experience.With regard to the great wisdom here on the forum, I have enjoyed listening to folks fix their practical problems in ML hunting and shooting. Chap Gleason Va