Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Sight in for 370 gr Maxi Ball >

Sight in for 370 gr Maxi Ball

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sight in for 370 gr Maxi Ball

Old 02-27-2007, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Sight in for 370 gr Maxi Ball

Pglasgow and Cayugad. I just puta new front sight on my Bobcat (actually the original front site). The back sight is still the Lyman Hunter. I had the combo, but I could not get my 80 grain load with the Maxi Balls any higher than dead even elevation wise at 50 yards, which put me about 8 inches low at 100 as I recall. I have lived with this the last two years, but want to get to where I am about even the whole way out to 100 with no more than 3 inches high at any point. The velocity as I have chronographed is 1200 FPS. Figure on 6500 feet elevation as that is the minimum I sight in and hunt at.

Thanks,

Marcial

P.S. I have been thinking about shooting the Buffalo Ball et's this year, but figure I REALLY like the way this load thumbs elk, and will apply for cow elk ml again, so going to stick with this load.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Sight in for 370 gr Maxi Ball

If you want to get the maxiball to hit higher and you have the rear sight all the way adjusted, then you might have to get a different front sight. I am wondering if when you put the different rear sight on the rifle, it should have had a different front site as well to get the maxiball to be over the point of aim at 50 yards.

It sounds like you need a different front sight. I personally put a set of fiber optics on my Mountain Stalker/Bobcat and they seem to work real good for me. I got them at Wal Mart for $20.00+ such dollars when I first got the rifle.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey charlie,

Thats a great load. Below is chart ofa trajectory you may find to your satisfaction. One other thing. If you really like the other front sight better, you can shim the rear sight so that it lifts POI sufficiently that adjustments can be made. You have a rear tang mounted peep? If you can measure the distance between the rear and front sight, I can calculate precisely how much you need to shim the rear sight in order to use the front sight you just removed.

Old 02-27-2007, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let me clarify on this a bit. I took the original sights (front and rear) off when I got the rifle, and put a set of CVA Illuminator II on there. I did not like that sight set up, so put a set of Lyman Hunters on both front and back. With those sights I was only getting dead on at 50 with the rear sight all the way up. I lived with that last two seasons. Just recently, I put the original Front sight on, which is all brass, and left the Lyman sight on the rear. Shot today, and it was dead on still, so had the gun smith in town file down the front site some to raise the POI a little bit. Will shoot again soon and see where she is hitting, and go from there.

Thanks for the load info!

Later,

Marcial
Old 02-27-2007, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is the Lyman set I am talking about. I still have the rear on the gun with the original front sight that came on the muzzle loader (which is brass)

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712-cat200004&id=0009947210159a&navCount=1&amp ;podId=0009947&parentId=cat200004&masterpa thid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IH&ri d=&parentType=index&indexId=cat200004& hasJS=true
Old 02-27-2007, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

The main thing for me also was what the B.C. was? Also, the sight height on the rearis 3/8" so I went to another site, and plugged in those numbers.

Also, the distance between the front and rear is 18.25"

The front sight height is 9/32"

Old 02-27-2007, 07:05 PM
Typical Buck

You are right having the front sight filed down that is the only way to raise the point of impact if your rear sight is maxed out. In fact they are made of brass to make them easy to file. You should be able to do it your self you do not need a smithy to do this for you.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:19 PM
Dominant Buck

What kind of powder charge were you using to get 1200 fps out of the maxiball? I was shooting some of them today and was using 90 grains of Goex 3f and they seemed to have a pretty good snap to them.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ah heck, I am in there about once a week anyway, and he doesn't charge for little things like that, and he has a vice, and grinders, and files, so may as well have him do it, lol.

That is with 80 grains of RS. At least that is what I remember the velocity being when I chronographed it last. I remember 1190 or so to like 1220, on 3 shots, of course that was a couple years ago, and 1200 has just stuck in my head.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Charlie,

After seeing the pic of the rear sight, I see that shimming it is not an option. Sounds like you are on the right track now filing the front sight. About the velocity, I happened to get 1290-1330 with 70 grains Goex 3f and the 385 GP. I ranged between 1320 and 1330 with the same charge and 10 grains of ground oatmeal. This in my SS sidekick w/ 26" barrel. I kind of figure the sidekick would propel the 370 maxiwith 80 grains 3f to around 1410 or 1420. With 80 grains 2f to around 1340.

The bobcats shorter barrel should yield lower velocities but I kinda wonder how your velocities might change if you used a wonder wad, or some filler. I would be interested in knowing if you find any difference if you happen to try them.

I just kind of guessed the B.C. It should bepretty close.

Quick Reply: Sight in for 370 gr Maxi Ball

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.