Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Sight in for 370 gr Maxi Ball >

Sight in for 370 gr Maxi Ball

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sight in for 370 gr Maxi Ball

Old 02-27-2007, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sight in for 370 gr Maxi Ball

I have never tried any type of filler or anything with my muzzle loader. Just the powder and bullet. I have also considered trying some Pydrodex P, and as long as I stay with no more than 80 grains, should be fine with no worries about the pressure spikes. I don't have any, so would have to pick some up next time I go north. What does the ground oatmeal do to the load? I would just put 10 grains of oatmeal on top of the powder, then seat the bullet?

Now my interest is peaked, so I may have to grind some up, and do a control velocity test, and a test with oatmeal tomorrow when I go to town.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: charlie brown

I have never tried any type of filler or anything with my muzzle loader. Just the powder and bullet. I have also considered trying some Pydrodex P, and as long as I stay with no more than 80 grains, should be fine with no worries about the pressure spikes. I don't have any, so would have to pick some up next time I go north. What does the ground oatmeal do to the load? I would just put 10 grains of oatmeal on top of the powder, then seat the bullet?

Now my interest is peaked, so I may have to grind some up, and do a control velocity test, and a test with oatmeal tomorrow when I go to town.
Charlie,

I think just about any meal would help. Cream of wheat (farina), cornmeal, it is just that we like oatmeal, (and its supposed to be good for cholesterol), and it happened to be there that day. So I just put some in my coffee grinder and ground some up.

And yes, load the powder, lightly tap the butt of the rifle to pack it, drop the oatmeal. Then seat the bullet. Charlie, I made a scoop which measures 10 grains of meal out of a piece of oak drilled to accept the barrel of a pen (quit writing, shrug) which was cut just right for ten grains. Works awesome. One other thing. Other with more experience than I use 20 grains. But thats the fun of it, experimenting, having a blast with it.

Charlie, one other thing. In the sidekick, with the 385 GP, I found that pyro p produced inferior velocities with respect to RS. I can't explain it and it took me completely by surprise. What I found pyro p to excell with is patched roundball, and ballets. It seems to like lighter projectiles, at least in my sidekick and hawken. If you are going to be primarily shooting the maxiball, you may prefer to opt for RS in this next purchase if my experience with the 385 is indicative of what you may expect with the maxiball.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Those are nice sights. I would like to have them on one of my Lymans flintlocks. That would be easy to see in low light I bet.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info Pglasgow

Yes, very nice sights, its a shame they just won't work with the load I want. I am even thinking of putting on a set of Lyman peeps sometime, lol. I also have a set of those Lyman sights on my .30-06, and they are great for a back-up.

Later,

Marcial
Old 02-28-2007, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I was hoping to get out today and shoot, but the snow and wind was nasty. I guess I will just wait for it to warm up a bit, and spend a whole morning out, lol.

Later,

Marcial
Old 02-28-2007, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

To calculate change needed in height of the front sight (or it could be the rear) needed to correct for a certain amount, you need to know the sight radius and the error that needs correction at a specific distance.

100 yards = 3600" So, how much rise per inch deviation is need to gain an inch in either direction? 1" change at 100 yards requires 1" rise or fall in 3600" distance traveled... or .000277" per inch traveled.

Measure the distance from your rear sight blade/peep/aperature to the front side bead/blade. Write it down. (For our example below, we'll assume a 20" distance is measured (sighting radius).

So we have a front sight which only results in a group 18" below point of aim with the rear sight in the middle of its adjustment range. We have a measured sight radius of 20". And, finally, we know that to achieve a 1" change at 100 yards we must induce a change of .000277" per inch of travel.

The front sight is too high.... how much?..... .000277 X 20 X 18 = 0.09972" required change

Old 02-28-2007, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

okay, so I copied and pasted that material from a posting I made quite some time ago at DWBs. Used 18" error as an example only.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do know that the distance from the centers of the front and rear sight is 18.25" The Front sight is 9/32" from the top of the barrel to the top of the sight, and the rear sight, the same distance is 3/8." I am not understanding how the formula works, so I figure I will file the front sight down until I amslightlyhigher than I want to be at 50 yards, and then use the rear sight (which is as high as it will go) to adjust accordingly.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

.000277 X 20 X 18= yadda yadda

Just plug in your numbers, your sight radius is 18.25" and you are 8" low at 100 yards with the rear sight max'd out. Let's add a bit to that 8" to gain you some adjustment room on your rear sight and use 10" in the formula

.000277 x 18.25 x 10 = 0.0505525"

So file the front down .05" and you should then be a bit high at 100 with the rear max'd. My guess is you'll want to take just a little more off later but it's far better to take off too little than too much.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

oh, ok makes sense now.

Later,

Marcial

Quick Reply: Sight in for 370 gr Maxi Ball

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.