Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Powder/Sabot for Sidekick >

Powder/Sabot for Sidekick

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Powder/Sabot for Sidekick

Old 02-26-2007, 11:28 PM

Default Powder/Sabot for Sidekick

I am buying a new Sidekick, stainless this weekend. I have read the pros and cons of this weapon, and the bottom line is that I own an USH 12 ga. and 45-70 Handi. I feel the craftmanship of these weapons is such that it is no risk, buying my 1st muzzleloader from H&R. In my research, I have come to believe that the Hodgon 777 powder is the way to go. I was wondering if anyone could validate this. Also, was wondering which Sabot bullets people use, and the accuracy they are obtaining. Thanks.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:21 AM
Spike

Default RE: Powder/Sabot for Sidekick

80-85 T7ff, 300gn XTP, mmp short black sabot. 1 1/2" groups. with a scope and shooting off of bags.
On the breech plug use thread tape and permatex High temp antisieze 1600 degrees (auto store) or better yet some nickle silver 2000.
Break it loose 1/3 turn after 5 shots and retighten or You will seize it. If you don't you'll be putting the whole thing in a vise to get the plug out.

Good luck, they shoot great and will shoot about anyting bullet wise from a .430 with green mmp's to 460 conicals.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Was looking for something else and found your question.

I have been shooting the Sidekick for a few years now and have harvested many deer with it. The choice of bullets and powder is up to you. It will shoot anything you put in it and shoot them very well. I like to load mine with the 300 gr. XTP and 110 grs. of Pyrodex Select.

But like I said go to the range and kick back and have a ball running different bullets and powders and come to a happy conclusion.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot the same load as redpep.

I have learned that my gun likes most any 300 grain bullet with 80 grains T7ff, but I now just shoot the XTPs - I use the gun for deer and see no reason to experiment when I have a load that is very inexpensive and accurate.

I practice at 50 and 75 yards because this is where my shots tend to be in the field. I can't vouch for a load out past those distances.

I have learned that a little swabbing between shots does help. I have a few friends that claim their first shot is more accurate when they shoot a few primers first, but I have not noticed any difference at the range.

Good luck. During the regular rifle season I now tend to leave the 30-30 in the safe and take the sidekick.