Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Problems with GPR

Old 01-26-2007, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Problems with GPR

I got my GPR flinter. It was made from a kit and is a beauty. The only thing is the wedge pins do not work. I tried them each in different holes. What could it be? Do I need new wedge pins? They are very very loose and hardly stay in. I tried the one from my renegade and it worked better. What should I do?

Thanks
Old 01-26-2007, 07:59 PM

Default RE: Problems with GPR

Bend them a little. It worked on mine.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

did you have the same probelmo?
Old 01-26-2007, 08:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Some things to try to make the barrel wedge work better. On some of the Great Plains Rifle you have to be very careful of which wedge pin was removed from where and in what position. They need to go back the exact same way they came out. So the first thing I would do is play with the wedge pins trying them in every combination of ways you can thing of. See if they do not get tight.

Other things you can try... Some people bend the wedge pin just veryslightly. This is not as big a deal as it sounds because if it does goof something up, wedge pins are easy to replace from the company. Another thing you can try is..take some packing tape or duct tape. Cut a strip the width of the barrel wedge lock. Feed it through the wedge lock and then basically wrap the bottom of the barrel wedge lock.Two layers are normally all it will take. The reason you can not wrap the wedge pin is they will not fit through the escutcheon plate opening.

Try those as a temp fix and see if it does not help. I actually have a rifle thatI wrap. I just don't have the heart to bend the wedge pin...
Old 01-26-2007, 08:16 PM

Yep.

Old 01-26-2007, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I trid every combo. It only gets tight if I hit it really hard when it is all the way in accept a very little bit. I will gry the wrap the hole on the barrel.

Thanks
Old 01-26-2007, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you have the manual for the GPR is has a section on fixing that problem. Bending the wedge pins is one way of doing it but I don't think that way is in the manual. The manual shows using a piece of round stock (like a metal bar) and slightly bending the wedge slot of the barrel for a tighter fit. I used that method on one of my barrels so I wouldn't have problems with my other barrel and a bent wedge pin.

Good luck with it.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:33 AM

ORIGINAL: dmurphy317

If you have the manual for the GPR is has a section on fixing that problem. Bending the wedge pins is one way of doing it but I don't think that way is in the manual. The manual shows using a piece of round stock (like a metal bar) and slightly bending the wedge slot of the barrel for a tighter fit. I used that method on one of my barrels so I wouldn't have problems with my other barrel and a bent wedge pin.

Good luck with it.
I'd rather bend a cheap wedge than something on the barrel.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:38 AM
Fork Horn

I had the same problem with mine. I followed the instructions in the book that came with the rifle and used a piece of round stock to bend the wedge slots just a little. YES IT SCARED THE HECK OUT OF ME. I just took my time and it worked outfine. The pin fits just right and is secure. Best of luck to you.