Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Question

Old 01-21-2007, 09:17 PM
Spike

Default Question

Last middle of gun deer season in NY , I bought a last minutet/c stainless steel omega w/tbhole and took 3 time range tests meanwhile I was learning from all of you in a forum. The shooting result was very impressed. t7 primer ,110 gr of T7 -3f and 250gr Shockwave bond produced 1 1/4 inches group at 100 yds ( calm wind ) Swapw/ spitting and couple dryof patches every shot.After third range test , I reload at same way I did and wenthunting.In an hr and half later , I bagged a nice 6 pointer at 60 yard then took off about 40 yards b4 downed .. THe pencil hole entrance and exit wassizeofgolfball...Blood trail was good on snow covered ground.. I think I enjoyed with my first experience BP season much better than slug
I went to range test again . The result was the same(1/2" to 1.5" group ) I am satisfied then I just seasoned my Omega away for next year .
Next deer season , I am not sure . I think I would be better off with reloaded after range test like i did last minute or fire couple of primer and dry patch and reload . I am worried that it may rust my barrel so I heard it doesnt matter that stainless steel or regular barrel can get rust if I decide to reload just after range test without cleaning . What do you suggest ?? .
Old 01-21-2007, 09:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Question

Just make sure the rifle is clean and oiled like you would a center fire rifle and you should be fine. Then next time you bring it out, swab the barrel with alcohol on a patch and remove the oil from the barrel.

Also, welcome to the forum nice to have you. And congratulation on taking the deer this year..
Old 01-21-2007, 10:07 PM
Spike

Thanks , Cayugad Like you say thumb rule is clean a rifle a must after range test or successful hunting before end of day ..One question is after oil removed from barrel ..should I firecouple of209 primer before reload during hunting prepare ? is 209 corrision like burned black powder ???
Old 01-21-2007, 10:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes, after you swab the barrel you want to pop a 209 primer or two. I like to push a dry patch to the bottom of the breech on the jag and pop the primer. Then you can pull the patch and check for the fire burns on the patch. It shows the fire channel is clean.

A 209 primer is not supposed to be corrosive. But I still clean it out.