Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Pan charge ...slower burn >

Pan charge ...slower burn

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pan charge ...slower burn

Old 01-20-2007, 03:30 PM

Default Pan charge ...slower burn

I purchased a RMC Accusportster flint lock last year.
I am not comfortbale w/ it yet to feel I can hunt w/ it.
I am having a problem w/ the primer charge. I've been experimenting w/ amount in the pan (Goex4F) to geta quick ignition of the main charge.
It most of the time fizzes for a second and them goes off.
How much do I use and does the fact that sometimes the charge spreads out in the pan make any difference?

I'm sure this has been posted before but I just got here.
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Pan charge ...slower burn

Lets back up...What do your sparks look like??? How many do you have???
When I drop the hammer on one ofmy Silers...they are a bright orange color, at least 20-25 different sparks and they bounce into the center of the pan...The pan powder will ignite instantaneously....

Inless you have a batch of bad powder, it sounds like either your sparks aren't hot enough, or you don't have many hitting your pan...
Old 01-20-2007, 03:48 PM

I never really looked at the sparks. I use rough cut english flints and they seem to spark o.k.
Ifenough sparks aren't hitting the pan ,how do I correct?
Old 01-20-2007, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fizzes is a new term for me. I am not quit sure what you mean by that. Regardless of this term, I fill my pan approximately half way with 7F charging powder. I do not have any problems with ignition. I also think the 7F is a bit faster. Tom.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:53 PM

I've never heard of 7F ...Where can I get some?
Old 01-20-2007, 03:56 PM

By fizzes I mean you can hear the powder burning in the pan.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Lets determine if you have a problem before we get into how to fix...Go spark your lock and see what color the sparks are, this tells you how hot they are...Also notice approx how many and where do they hit...

Old 01-20-2007, 04:30 PM

The sparks are orange and I would say most of the spark goes into the pan but a couple were out. Number wise I would guess about 15 or so.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:49 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds like you are putting to much prime powder in the pan. Are you putting in so much that you cover the touch hole? Normally you need just a few grains of prime powder and it should flash right up fast. The heat from the flash in the pan lights off the main charge.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:04 PM
Dominant Buck

I would say Pittsburghunter might might be on to something. What you're getting is a fuse effect. I never put more then 3grains of powder in the pan. That is one set with the small pan flask. I like to stick it away from the vent liner along the back side/outside edgeof the pan.

Also are your running a vent pick into the vent liner before shooting. This does a couple things. Not only does it make it clear so the spark can get to it, but it also drags just a very small amount for the main charge towards the vent hole. So when the spark hits, it explodes instead of smolders.

Be sure your pan is dry and oil free. Try reducing the amount of powder in the pan. Try placing the powder in different parts of the pan. Pick the vent hole. An easy way to do that is put the vent pick into the vent hole and lower the frizzen pan lid on the vent pick. Then pour your main powder charge down the barrel and load the projectile. Now your ready to prime the pan, and you open the frizzen lid and remove the vent pick. This insures that the vent is open and the charge is ready to accept spark.

Also the importance of a sharp flint can not be over looked. Where are you getting your flints from? Have you ever tried an Agate flint? You will just have to play with it until you find the right combination. Those are nice rifles. I almost bought one when he was closing out the models that the breech plug did not come out of...

Quick Reply: Pan charge ...slower burn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.