Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Leupold QD rings and bases? >

Leupold QD rings and bases?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Leupold QD rings and bases?

Old 01-19-2007, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default Leupold QD rings and bases?

I just received my late X-mas present it was a TC Encore with a SS barrel and the green laminated thumb-hole stock. It was exactly the gun I was looking for. I also got the Nikon Omega BDC scope and I want to install it using Leupold QD mounts. Here is what I need to know about the QD rings… I have front and rear sights on the rifle so how tall do I have to go with the rings? They come in low, med and high styles. I only want to go as high as necessary…so any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, AZbear
Old 01-19-2007, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Leupold QD rings and bases?

the only barrel i have owned with sights is my 209X50 ml'er barrel, and even withthe tall rings i could not get the objective end of the scope above the rear sight, i took my rear and frontsight off and plugged the holes, this was with a simmons aetec 3.5X10X44 scope, i imagine with the qd's your wanting to be able to utilize both sights, wish i could tell you more but as i mentioned the ml'er barrel is the only one i have with iron sights
Old 01-19-2007, 10:14 AM

AZ - I'd suggest using the Leupold Mount Selector found at the link below.

http://www.leupold.com/resources/Mou...rt/default.asp

Since this is a Leupold site, it will only allow you to select a Leupold scope. However, just select a Leupold scope that's similar to the Nikon Omega....like the VarX-III 3-9X40mm. The important thing is to select the Leupold scope on this site that has a scope bell similar to the Nikon Omega...I think that scope has a 40mm bell. Right?

A buddy of mine has an Encore set up with the Leupold QD bases and rings. I could ask him, but I'm almost certain he just went with what the Leupold Mount Selector suggested.

That's a heck of a rig ya got there

Hope this helps...
Old 01-19-2007, 10:45 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys for the info...I do want to keep my sights on the gun if at all possible but If I have to remove them then I will. I'll check out the Leupold site and see what I can find. I know there is an answer out there to my problem I just have to find it.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

3x9x40 = QR Low Rings.

I don't own an encore every one I know that does have fill screws in place of the iron sights, whether it was do fit or preference I can't say (sorry).

Have you considered the Warne Maxima Quick Detach Mounts? Reason askedI had a set of QRW's and wasn't impressed with their return to 0. I found they were inconsistant and thus went with the Warnes instead. They are consistantly within 1" interms of POI after removal and if requiredI wouldn't give them a momentsworry ifI had to remove when hunting (easily MOD). Great product, good service and strong mounts.

Maybe the QR's are better though.

Good luck.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

AZBear,
QRW don't go above high so I don't think you will make a fit w/o removing the rearsight. Even if you could,you might find them uncomfortally high.

Skeeter,
I found just the opposite of you. I also don't like the vertical split on the Warne, or how the parts can fall out, but do like their bases. I found them much harder to get set properly but like the grip they give slightly better. Weaver bases are all a standard just like a picatinny 1913 rail but many manufactures don't adhere to consistant results. Me personallly I like the top mount Leupold QRW/PRW's. I ownboth. My black diamond has a set of weaver bases because no one makes a steel set I'm aware of. Zero is excellent even on the aluminum bases and they are necessary if you want to clean that rifle properly.
SHills

Old 02-02-2007, 09:17 PM
Fork Horn

I went to Cabelas and talked to a guy about the rings and bases and he recommended trying the high extended ringsas well as the med height rings and I would just have to try both and see which one worked. To make a long story short I ended up removing the rear sight to get things to work using the medium rings (maybe).

My next BIG problem is that the torx screws that came with the one piece base don't fit the factory drilled holes in the base or in my gun. [:@]Has anyone else had this problem? [:-]It is the correct bases as well...I did look (all the holes line up). What next?
Old 02-03-2007, 12:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have never got the wrong sized torxs with leupold bases but it is possible. The other possibility is improper tap on the encore from the factory, have seen that on occassion.

Easiest solution is take back the basesbut take your gun with you to try a different set.

If problem exists contact TC.

Old 02-03-2007, 01:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

First of all I am pretty sure that the back sight on your Encore will fold down. Mine did. I would go with the Warne base-rather than the Leupold. I believe it is longer and will allow more room to move your scope forward and back. You may be able to move your scope back far enough to clear your back sight. You can use the Warne or Leupold rings on the Warne base. The Weaver base also works well, IMO it is not quite as strong as the steel Warne, but it is still pretty long. Tom.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:50 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys for your help.

Skeeter 7MM,
It wasn't that the screws were wrong size for the gun but that they would not even go through the holes in the bases. Very strange but I'll take my gun with me on the return and see what gives.

Head001,
I have a fiber optic sight on my gun that won't allow it to fold down. I have one of T/C's special models shown here http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/firearmDetails.php?ID=3913and the only way to make things work it appears is to remove the back sight. I'll look into the Warne base and rings as well since it looks like I might have trouble with Leupold stuff.

Quick Reply: Leupold QD rings and bases?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.