Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Last Minute Deer

Old 01-13-2007, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Last Minute Deer

Well, PA's deer season ended today at sunset with the closing of the late Flintlock season. Anywho, about 17 minutes until the end I had a SMALL deer come out into the soybean field I was watching. He kept working closer and I just couldn't believe how tiny he was. I didn't have an antlerless tag, only my general tag which I could tag either a buck or doe with, but I was hoping for a buck. At 5:00pm, 10 minutes until the end, the little tike turned broadside in an opening 15 yds out and, having the gut feeling this little guy wasn't going to make it through the winter, I squeezed off a shot. A flash, a boom andjolt later, he was high tailing it 80 yds and piled up. When I got up to him, I noticed a wound in his rear leg...I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have made it through the winter. He weighed 55# field dressed, when he should have been around 100# or so. After missing two earlier in the season with my ML, I'm just happy to put one in the freezer with my smokepole.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Last Minute Deer

Congratulations on taking a deer... no matter the size. Its a good thing that you were able to dispatch the deer as with that wound, should the winter turn hard he would have been coyote food. Better to put him in your freezer. Also those small ones are excellent eating and easy to get out of the woods... On the last day or any day for that matter with the number of deer I saw, I would have dropped it as well.

The one I took was a little bigger, and I used a flintlock. It makes them kind of special. My small deer so far has been excellent table fare...

enjoy your venison and again, congratulations.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:37 PM
Fork Horn

I made deer chili last nightwith meat froma deer that was about 80lbs. I took it ealier in the season with a bow. Those loins and strapswill be some good eatin. Congrats ona fine kill and some good meat in your freezer.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a pic of the entrance hole...it angled down for the exit hole. The Maxi-Hunter did a nice job.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:12 PM
Fork Horn

The smaller the better, I shot two this year about the size of a big labrador. They taste like prime rib if cooked right.

Thats a good looking deer.

We have until the 24th in Iowa for deer.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:15 PM
Dominant Buck

people really do not give those conicals enough credit. Sabots are all fine and good, but you want to knock a hole in something.. hit it with a conical.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been very fortunate these last three years, taking a deer with my flintlock each year, and everytime I'm impressed by the hole left by the conical. They really do a number on them....the entrance hole is usually larger than the exit of a rifle bullet...and the blood trails are very nice.

I love my flintlock.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on the deer!

What model and makeFL do you use? I'm in the market for one now.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:51 PM
Fork Horn

way to go, let those coyotes get there meal elsewhere, nice job
Old 01-16-2007, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PA Bow/Flinter
When I got up to him, I noticed a wound in his rear leg...I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have made it through the winter.
Congratulations PA Bow/Flinter. And good for you. You righted anothers' wrong. I do hope its the best tasting deer you've ever eaten. You deserve that. Great shot placement, just an all around great harvest, Congratulations.

Quick Reply: Last Minute Deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.