Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Last Minute Deer

Old 01-16-2007, 10:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Last Minute Deer

Congrats! We all would have done our part I'm sure if we hadn't seen anything all year. Good decision and one heck of a bullet hole. What were you using as the projectile? I shoot sabots and am sad to say I never have shot conicals and that is going to change this year. Do you guys recommend a smoothbore or a twist in the neighborhood of 1:48 for these big conicals?
Old 01-17-2007, 01:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey PA Bow/Flinter....I can almost substitute your story for mine! I shot a yearling on the last day of the Pa. Flintlockseasonas well, about 5 min. till closing. The one I shot didn't have a previous wound...but it was about the same size. I told my wife when Flintlock season opened that I was going to try specifically for either a legal buck or ayearling deer so that I would only be taking out one deerno matter how you look at it. The deer herd where I live is less than a quarter of what it wasfive years ago so I am definitley more selective now than Iever was before. The real kicker is that it was mybirthday and that's the first time since I've been old enough to hunt that I got a deer on my birthday!!. Butanywaycongrats to a fellow Flintlocker and many more good seasonsto you!!!!!.......BPS
Old 01-17-2007, 01:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

people really do not give those conicals enough credit. Sabots are all fine and good, but you want to knock a hole in something.. hit it with a conical.
Amen Cayugad!!! I shoot either Maxi-ball orMaxi- hunters in my T/C rifles and I haven't lost a deer to them yet...unless I just plain missed!!!....I think it was Slim Pickins in the movie Rancho Deluxe that said something like...Why H*LL that steer was shot with a .50 Sharps!!! There's a hole there big enough to through a cat through!!!!!...'Nuff said.....BPS