Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Patched ball lube? >

Patched ball lube?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Patched ball lube?

Old 01-11-2007, 08:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Patched ball lube?

Another good patch lube is rendered bear lard. Take the leaf lard from a bear and render it down three times. It will be the most pure snow whitelard you ever had. Women want it for cooking because it makes pie crusts extra flaky. Irendered it for the fact there are so many things you can do with bear lard. The trouble is it is a stinky mess for the first two renderings, and a lot of work, but if you have access to the bear fat, and like to tinker its kind of fun actually.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:09 PM

Funny that you mention the bear fat. I remember my Grandma would render pork fat and make soap for clothes washing and also for some very lard for some great tasting pie crusts. Do they still sell lard? Would that work better than the Moose Milk or would that still be the best for this purpose?

Mike
Old 01-11-2007, 08:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Sure they still sell lard in stores, but be careful some of it is salted. Personally I would try the moose milk formula first. I think you will really like it. Plus you don't get yelled at when they find black powder finger prints in the Crisco can...
Old 01-11-2007, 08:44 PM

The blackpowder traces in the Crisco, could make for some very interesting X-mas cookies though. I don't think that even Martha has experimented with that mixture.

One question on the Moose Milk Dave, what quantity of pillow ticking does the recipe treat? What width do you usually like to cut the strips? I am going to grab 2-3 yards of it. When you wash the ticking are you using soap or just rinsing it in the wash cycle?

Mike
Old 01-11-2007, 08:54 PM
Dominant Buck

One question on the Moose Milk Dave, what quantity of pillow ticking does the recipe treat? What width do you usually like to cut the strips? I am going to grab 2-3 yards of it. When you wash the ticking are you using soap or just rinsing it in the wash cycle?
Well I make the moosemilk up by the quart and that last about two years. It keeps fine, just shake the liquid up before you use it again and it turns right back into milk. I keep a small bottle to spritz the cloth from time to time but that's all.

Width, I like the strips wide, maybe 1-1/2 to two inches. Actually, I tear it every 5th stripe. A yard of pillow tick goes a long way. Remember, that is 3 feet long and your only taking 3/4 of an inch at a time.

When I wash it, I do it like any other kind of laundry. You're removing the sizing out of the cloth. This helps it absorb the lube. Then I line dry it. If you dry it in the dryer, it will frizz on the edges. You will see that you can tear a strip real easy with just your fingers....
Old 01-11-2007, 09:02 PM

Thanks Dave,
I think that I am set for this project. Although I am sure that I will have many more yet in the next few months. Now I just need to get a scope and I can try a couple shots. I want to see how much smoke it will make with the BP. I have seen my friend shoot the other types of powders but never BP.

Mike
Old 01-11-2007, 09:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Black Powder does not "smoke" any more then some of the other powders. It hangs in the air nice and stinks... I think you will like the way it works in your rifle.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:16 PM

Bore Butter is best. That's about all I use it for though.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do not think you can beat liquid lubes for the range. You can shoot up to 50 shots or so with out swabbing. I donot like them for hunting because they can get your powder wet or some will dry if you are hunting all day and it will not be the same. That is why I got the Mink Oil to try for hunting.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:32 AM
Typical Buck

Sharpshooter, you said "DO NOT use mink oil on your boots....hard on the bore"

Did you mean do not use it on the bore? I just used it on my hiking boots last night as I'm heading into the mountains tonight for a few days. I've used it on leather boots for years without problems. Just curious.

Quick Reply: Patched ball lube?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.