Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Cracks in Kodiak Synthetic Stock - Resolved >

Cracks in Kodiak Synthetic Stock - Resolved

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cracks in Kodiak Synthetic Stock - Resolved

Old 01-27-2007, 10:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cracks in Kodiak Synthetic Stock

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

Phil, i asked winchester about the warranty when i emailed about the powder charges and mark said it was a lifetime warranty, anything wears out or breaks, its getting replaced by winchester. Of course they have been good about replacing stuff free of charge for me.
Right. I was just saying that the warranties as described in the manuals appeared the same to me.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:50 AM
Fork Horn

I floated my barrel as soon asIsaw it didn't have a gap big enough to slide a dollar bill down to the first lug. I used a brass cabinet hinge I cut w/ a hack saw and filed to fit. The drilled and sanded. The thickness was .050. It worked fine for me. I agree w/ all the rest, I will bet CVA will give you a new lam stock. I certainlly would press hard for one....

SHills
Old 01-28-2007, 09:04 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

Hey Jake, i got your shims all ready to go, i also went and taped 2 pieces of cardboard together and put the shims between it so they dont get bent out of shape. If those cracks dont open up and you feel comfortable with it, you can do what Phil did and JB weld those areas really good, But with a little twist and added strength, Go to walmart and in the automotive section they sell that fiberglass cloth, cut some of that stuff up really fine and mix it into the JB weld paste and that will allow it to bond better and strengthen it. I'd also scratch up the areas where it will be applied just to make sure it has a good rough bed to hold onto rather than a smooth surface. I'll get the envelope out monday morning.

Jon
I was looking at ways to strengthen it last night and have a couple of ideas. Thank you again Jon.

ORIGINAL: SHills

I floated my barrel as soon asIsaw it didn't have a gap big enough to slide a dollar bill down to the first lug. I used a brass cabinet hinge I cut w/ a hack saw and filed to fit. The drilled and sanded. The thickness was .050. It worked fine for me. I agree w/ all the rest, I will bet CVA will give you a new lam stock. I certainlly would press hard for one....

SHills
That is a great idea with the hinge, and it looks really good and strong. Thanks for the idea.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

SHills,

I notice that you have an Omega stock there. In the laminate stock, I think floating is fine, but one should be aware that the in the plastic stock (Mo Archer has one), one is lessening the support for the lugs to the extent that it my cause stock failure. Sabotloader can comment on this, but I do know he floated his barrel, and his stock failed, after returning his stock to T/C it was replaced. I do notice that Sabotloader advises against floating an Omega right now.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Pglasgow

It is my thoughtthat if your Omega, with the laminate stock, is shooting well and shoots well across all conditions (heat - cold & etc) I would really leave it alone. A supported barrel, a barrel laying in the barrel channel correctly is better than a floating barrel - my belief...

On the other hand the synthetic stock could use some help. The Omega synthetic stock will probably function fine 90% of the time as is. If you float the barrel in this application by shimming you need to consider reinforcing the recoil lug cups. Currently the synthetc stock I have supports the barrel very well and the will shoot 1.5" groups most times... it will all the time - but i don't all the time.

Floating solves two problems, lesser quality stocks that have very flexible forearm that may change your POI - "floating" will cure that problem. 2) a stock that does not not apply equal pressure tp the barrel along the length of the barrel will cause POI movment as the barrel warms and cools, and again "floating" will heal that problem,

It is my opinion that most high dollar custom guns will have a supported barrel not a floated barrel. In the old days when Winchster built great guns they took the time to fit the stock to the barreled action - today that is to expensive to be competive.

Hope this makes some sense...

mike
Old 01-28-2007, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

sabotloader

I'm confused. Do you think your omega stock would have failed anyway, even without having floated it?
Old 01-28-2007, 09:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Pglasgow

I think the synthetic stock has a big chance of failing for a person that shoots the gun a lot. Those recoil lugs are a minimum in my mind.

In the case of the Omega and the synthetic stock the action should be screwed done snugly - if recoil mobement starts in the lug pockets - it will eventually cause a pocket failure - IMO. Floating will will not help this problem.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

sabotloader,

I tend to agree about plastic. With the heavy recoil I anticipate, I will no doubt strengthen the stock where it supports recoil. I personally think that the Kodiak would have been better designed without the litte U-shaped structures between the recoil supports. If they weren't there,they wouldn't crack.They are kindof likean appendix, i think. You don't need them andto make matter worse, they cango bad.

I have to admit, I hope MO Archer gets a laminate stock, I want one too. They are very pretty I think. And no, I don't want the thumbhole stock, i like the other one better.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a photo ofmy Kodiak with its cracks the the one on the narrow piece is deeper. Right now the one on the thicker side is barely below the surface.

Old 03-05-2007, 04:03 PM
Fork Horn

Well after almost 2 months of dealing with this it is finally over and I have to say I am very happy with the outcome. They gave me a thumb hole laminate stock at no charge and I didn't even have to pay for any of the shipping. BPI/CVA gets an A+ in my book for excellent customer service. Eric and Mark Hendricks over there really treated me right. Here it is....

I had them do a trigger job for me while it was there. They got it to just over 3lbs for me so I can't wait to get it out to the range.

Quick Reply: Cracks in Kodiak Synthetic Stock - Resolved

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.