Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Are CVA & Traditions junk? >

Are CVA & Traditions junk?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Are CVA & Traditions junk?

Old 01-08-2007, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Are CVA & Traditions junk?

Greetings to all here, and thanks for all the wisdom imparted in these forums.
I have yet to buy my first Muzzle loader and have been reading alot and visiting alot of Forums and websites to determine which is the right one for me.
I have been contemplating a few different sidelocks and in my roamings on the web, came across a website called www.chuckhawks.com.
There is a feller that writes articles for this site , named Randy Wakeman that absolutelytrashes CVA, Traditions and a couple of others. By what I have read, he is a big fan of T/C , Knight and has recently started to tolerate NEF.
Has anyone read thisfeller's stuff?
What I have gathered by reading his articles is that the only good steel comes from the US, and any steel from Spain or elsewhere is suspect.
I'm not trying to raise a ruckus, but what is a newbie to blackpowder (like me) to take as gospel?
I have read alot about different brands of guns and his articles seem to be the only ones to trash the foreign guns.
I really like the looks (and price) of the Traditions sidelocks, the Hawken in particular, but if what this feller says is true, then I'd be throwin' my money away.
Does anyone have extensive experience with the CVA or Traditions sidelocks? I'd sure like the opinions of experienced shooters of these brands before I buy.
Thanks,
Mac
Old 01-08-2007, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Are CVA & Traditions junk?

Ask frontier gander how he feels about those junky CVAs. And I am gonna get some . I think the word out on that Chuck Hawks guy is that he is a sell-out fraud to sponsors. All the new modern guns are good, go feel of them and shoot them if you can and buy what feels good and suits your wants and needs. Oh and make sure to check your local laws.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the quick reply, Jake.
Please remember, I ain't the one calling them junk, I'm the one asking if it's true or not. There's alot of experience on these forums and I'm trying to glean some.
Mac
Old 01-08-2007, 07:03 PM

I just bought a CVA Bobcat upon being told that there was basically nothing more perfect for a first timer at the price I got it at by several guys on here.

Cayugad owns a couple of CVAs and believes in them.

So does my gunsmith.

As well as another local amateur gunsmith.

Good enough for me.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: mcawful

Thanks for the quick reply, Jake.
Please remember, I ain't the one calling them junk, I'm the one asking if it's true or not. There's alot of experience on these forums and I'm trying to glean some.
Mac
I was just using a little humor, plus if we get fontier gander fired up we will be entertained for a while (don't hate me FG, I just know how you feel about your CVAs). I own a TC Omega which I love, and I also own a CVA Kodiak which I love as well. I think they are VERY close as far as quality and accuracy. I am also a newb and just started a little over a month ago, but you can learn alot by buying a gun, reading stuff here, and shooting alot.

ORIGINAL: metaldonnieg

I just bought a CVA Bobcat upon being told that there was basically nothing more perfect for a first timer at the price I got it at by several guys on here.
You stole that gun you lucky devil. That is the gun I really wanted for the price you paidbut I ended up with the Kodiak. So I guess I can't complain too much.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Kodiak looks like a great gun, though I'm partial to the sidelocks. I also looked at a Lyman Trade rifle of mybuddies and he swears by it. I don't know much about them either.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

I started shooting with a CVA buckhorn three years ago just to see how I liked the feel of muzzleloading. Since then I have shot other guns but have never bought another one. I have shot and killed 16 deer with it and can hold a 1 in. pattern at 75 and 100 yds.

As far as the steel being made in Spain, who cares? I have no problem with Spain. This gun works 100% of the time for me and has never failed in any way.

The main downfall is that it takes about two minutes to take apart instead of 5 seconds like you can with expensive guns like TC or Knight. I like to take mine apart and clean and oil the trigger mechanisim every time so this isnt a big deal for me.

also, you cant really brag to your firends about your 110$ CVA even if it shoots perfect all the time.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:14 PM
Fork Horn

I want to get a sidelock later on. I had to fight myself today to notbuy a Traditions Navy Revolver that was on sale. This is what it has to feel like being addicted to drugs. I almost can't wait until all the sale stuff is gone so I won't be tempted anymore. I have promised myself that my next purchase WILL be a gun safe. The other guys on here will pipe up with some advice.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Andrew,
I don't have a problem with imported steel either. My Uberti's are from Italy. So? Great shooters, both of them.
Jake, I know just how you feel, once I finally decide, and buy,... there'll be the next one I JUST HAVE TO HAVE!
I finally ponied up and bought a gun safe for all my goodies and now my wife doesn't complain about them in the closet getting gun oil on her stuff.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:23 PM
Dominant Buck

I personally would not label them as junk. CVA a.k.a. BPI make a good shooting rifle. There really is no argument to that fact. I own three or four of them and they are all good shooters. There is a question of testing standards that have not been addressed by CVA/BPI to the satisfaction of some. Those not satisfied with those standards purchase something other then CVA/BPI. Those that are not concerned purchase the rifle that suits them, whether CVA, Winchester, Thompson Center or what ever.

The one thing I stress is, know your rifle and the limitations set by the manufacturer reference loads and charges. Stay in those limitations. I personally do not shoot over 100 gr of powder in my CVA's. That's my load limits and satisfies MY personal needs.

What ever you choose, good luck.

Quick Reply: Are CVA & Traditions junk?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.