Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 ordered a new gun to try out .32 caliber >

ordered a new gun to try out .32 caliber

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

ordered a new gun to try out .32 caliber

Old 01-05-2007, 09:59 AM

Default ordered a new gun to try out .32 caliber

I ordered one of those .32 caliberGreen Mountainrifles this morning. I figured it should be a fun, cheap to shoot gun for the range and small game hunting. Besides it should match the other gun some what when hanging on the rack. It should be here Wednesday, I hope.

I could not find any information from users other than from what Toby has posted on his site. Hopefully it will be as good as it looks.

Mike
Old 01-05-2007, 10:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: New gun to try out

Keep me posted how it shoots... I would like to get one in a flintlock. Although that .40 caliber looks nice as well.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:18 PM
Fork Horn

I'd like to know how it shoots as well. I love small game hunting, particularly squirrel, and combining it with black powder shooting has got to be fun. Who did you order from? I have found only one place selling .32.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:18 PM

Dave,
I will let you know how it shoots as soon as I get it out to the range. Ifthe weather continues like this I might just try it out next week sometime. I was kind of surprised when I had to pay tax on it, I figured that might be due to it is direct from Manufacturer. I almost passed on it when they hit me with an extra $45.00 tax fee.

Mike
Old 01-05-2007, 06:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Small bores can be difficult when it comes to more than one shot with out cleaning if this problem should turn up try Black Mag if you can get some or Gold FFF. Lee
Old 01-05-2007, 06:57 PM

Thanks Lee,
That Black Mag was the powder that is really hard to locate these days I believe? Is that Gold the Shockey powder? Would that be a better powder to use in that gun over the Swiss 3F? I don't remember seeing any of the Shockey's in any of the stores around here. My friend was telling me at first to pass on it because of the thin ram rods. He said that he heard they break really easily on .32 calibers. I did check into which style of breech plug that the gun used before I bought it and it is a Knight so at least replacements won't be a problem. From what Toby wrote on it, the gun does not require much of a charge at all. I am going to have to do some experimenting with that area.

Now I need to find a scope for it. I am not sure if just a red dot style sight or possibly a 3-9X40 scope. I have not dabbled with scopes other than on one deer rifle years ago.

Mike
Old 01-05-2007, 07:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Gold the Shockey powder, I just like to abreviate. By the old rule of thumb for PBR 1/2 the ball weight for a hunting load and 2/3 of that for a target load of course these are starting points you have to shoot them to find out what the individual gun likes. Lee
Old 01-05-2007, 07:19 PM

Thanks again Lee,
I will see if I can locate some of the Shockey powder some where in town.

Mike
Old 01-05-2007, 08:37 PM

Grizzly Hackle36,
Grizzly,
I bought it direct from Green Mountain, gmriflebarrel.com
The only thing that I was not sure about at first was the gun has no iron sights, scope only model.
This website:http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com has a couple write ups on the gun, Knight sponsors this website. It gives a pretty good general description on how the gun shoots and it's capabilities. I know already that I will need to get some of those Lee powder dippers for measuring out the charge.
He also has some pretty nice pictures there on how it looks scoped. He has used it for Rabbits, Squirrels and Turkeys. I am going to use either Swiss or Go-ex blackpowder in it as of right now.

Mike