Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Which bullet type, pre packaged or bulk? >

Which bullet type, pre packaged or bulk?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Which bullet type, pre packaged or bulk?

Old 12-20-2006, 10:06 PM

Default RE: Which bullet type, pre packaged or bulk?

Hey thanks Roskoe,
I think that I came across those Harvesters website the other day. If a person finds a sabot and say a bullet bullet that will work with consistency out at the range. Would that also be an sufficient hunting round or would one of the copper jacketed Barnes (possibly the SBT or Red Hot) be better for deer? I have that new Midsouth catalog and I will look up some of those suggested bullets. I think that I am going to really like this muzzle-loading, I like it when things are not clear cut and always leave room for experimentation. So many of my buddies just buy a box of ammo at the store and it is only brought out at deer season.

Thanks again for the help on that rifle and scope. I am placing the order next week.

Mike
Old 12-20-2006, 10:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

HD Road King

Check these bullets out...

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1791957

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1794250

There is no doubt that the Barnes Bullets are excellent bullet but like the Noslers I shoot they are to expensive to shoot recreationally and believe me when you start shooting you will keep shooting...

These Gold Dots serve a dual purpose purpose and are somewhat inexpensive...

Old 12-20-2006, 11:40 PM

Thanks Sabot,
Thanks for the links. Would those bullets be a good round then for both the range and deer hunting? What is the best practice, use your hunting round always so that you become proficient with that load for all types of conditions or use two separate loads. One for range work and one for hunting? If this makes any sense. I guess from what I am thinking so far from reading past posts it sounds like it is really important to find the powder and bullet combination that work best for your gun. So once you find this and are satisfied with the results. Would it then be best to use that load always, for deer and range work? I am going to owe everybody a huge thanks for all of the help. It sure saves allot of trial and error!

Mike
Old 12-20-2006, 11:53 PM

Wow Sabot,
Thanks for the information on those gold dots. Those things sure mushroomed up nice. From what the guy in Mississippi was explaining about his type of woods sounds really similar to our type of cover here in MN. I think that I am going to order some of those in and some Sabots and start experimenting. Where is the best place to get those Gold Dots?

My buddy shoots a Encore and he is always telling me to start with the Power Belts. He says that the Sabots cause barrel fouling. I have read about that and it sounds like it is not much of a problem. Do you use the Sabots for most of your shooting?

Thanks again,
Mike
Old 12-21-2006, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

HD - I went the cheaper route after I went thru my first pre-packaged box of sabots/bullets. I am using Harvester Crush rib sabots and .45 cal 240gr XTPs. I ordered the sabots from cabelas, and I order all of my bullets from Midwayusa.com

Hope this helps ya out, just to fore-warn you, muzzleloading is a very addicting hobby!
Old 12-21-2006, 02:36 PM

Thanks Rammer,
I am starting to realize that this a veryaddicting hobby. I have catalogs and books piling up here and now I look forward to the Mailman bringing the Mail. My Wife and I had a big wish list for our Harley. I have since told her that I am holding off until next year for the accessories. I think that she is realizing the Muzzle-loading Monster has gotten it's grip on me.

Mike