Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Swiss Black Powder or BlackPowder substitute?? >

Swiss Black Powder or BlackPowder substitute??

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Swiss Black Powder or BlackPowder substitute??

Old 12-18-2006, 02:56 PM

Default RE: Swiss Black Powder or BlackPowder substitute??

Thanks again Dave & Phil,
That really answers my concern as to the storage question. Now to plan a little trip over to Elk River and as long as I am headed that way, I might as well hit the Cabela's in Rogers I need to check out a Tikka & Leupold scope! Thanksalso toRoskoe for the advice on that one. Last week my Wife told me to go ahead and get another gun, I was having trouble making up my mind on that one. Now I know what I am getting!

I just wish that the muzzle-loading season did not end so close to X-mas season. The wallet is about tapped out and the other day the local sporting shop had drastically reduced sabots on sale. Hopefully everyone else in my town is as broke as I am right now, there just might be some left down there next week.

Mike
Old 12-18-2006, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Mike,

Your welcome. Where is St. Cloud? Is it near Ely? Was there last summer and had an experience I know you would appreciate. We howled for wolves one eveningand gota pack to answer! What an experience that was . The Wolf Center in ely is alot of fun if you haven't been there. We spent a whole day in that place.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:09 PM

Thanks Dave,
For the heads up on the Master Hunter rifle, that was a really tough decision. I cancelled the Pro Hunter and had my dealer order me in the Knight. I am going to get one of those Power Stem breech plugs for use with powder only. That way I will be able to experiment with it and see which one of the breech plugs works best for my use. I just want to get it home here, so I can give it some TLC. Those Barnes/Knight red hots and spitzers are what I am planning to try out first, those are the ones that are drastically reduced in price right now. Have you ever tried those 245 SBT's out yet? The specs sure look good.

Mike
Old 12-18-2006, 03:25 PM
Dominant Buck

With that power stem breech plug.. yes you will want to shoot loose powder.

I have not tried the 245 grain but do shoot the 300 grain Barnes Expanders, 300 grain Barnes XPB, and the 285 grain Barnes Spitzers out of my Knight Disc. When the Disc is loaded with them nothing better come within 200 yards of me and my shooting sticks and loiter too long in one place or I will ruin its day.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:29 PM

Phil,
Unfortunately St.Cloud is probably about 200miles S.W of Ely, our State has kind of a weird shape. If traveling West to East you can cross it in several hours. But if going South to North it can take the entire day of travel, St.Cloud is at least centrally located. We doquite a bit of camping up there and since it is one of the main entrances into the BWCA it is a very busy and popular area. We are planning on moving up into Northern MN within the next few years and try to find some land up there. Hopefully with access to State land.I keep telling my Wife that we need to act on this idea sooner than later, I am keeping my fingers crossed on that one.

The only good thing is I don't need to be on a lake so this should not make it as hard to find land up there.

Mike
Old 12-18-2006, 03:31 PM

Dave,
That is what I was hoping to hear.Now if only it was a little closer to November, it seems so far away!
Old 12-18-2006, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mike,

Tell me about it. From Colorado we traveled to Southern Minnesota, one day, the next day was driving up to Ely. Pretty country though. Had a blast. There is alot of wolves in the Ely area now. We found alot of their droppings which are always full of deer hair.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:43 PM

Phil,
The Wolves are definately making a come back up there. I found some pretty large wolf tracks one morning during rifle season this past Fall. I sure would have loved to get a look at that big guy, from the size of his paw prints he was a big one! What I would really like to get chance to see is a litter of the pups. I have only been able to see then on the cable channel.

Mike
Old 12-18-2006, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mike,

They just don't like to show there faces. Seeing a litter of pups tended by a "babysitter" wolf would be quite a joy to see. I hope you get the opportunity to see that some day.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:57 PM

Phil,
Just so long as the Mom Wolf doesn't decide that I might be a good snack for those pups. I definately would be much easier for her to run down than a white tail.

Mike

Quick Reply: Swiss Black Powder or BlackPowder substitute??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.