Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Apex's first outing >

Apex's first outing

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Apex's first outing

Old 12-16-2006, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Apex's first outing

Well took the Apex out today.

Oh my! She's a shooter and a keeper.

I have to be honest, I just didn't see all the hoopla about inline muzzleloading until today. Wow. What a pleasure it was.

I decided to follow what I preach and shoot some conicals to start. I shot 270 ballets with 80 3f Goex. Prior to shooting the Apex I shot 375 SSB's out of the Sidekick with 80 gr 3f Goex. I was surprised find as much recoil from the Apex as the Sidekick because the Apex is heavier and the Ballet is lighter. The only explanation I can give is that the Sidekick had an additional recoil pad on her and the extra barrel length of the Apex lead to higher muzzle velocities than I would normally get from the Sidekick with the same load. I didn't chrony the load but I might tomorrow.

I set a target at 25 yards and set the elevation the first major grad from bottom. I wanted to see what the drop per grad is for the open sights. I shot three shots, all touched. Then I moved the rear sight 3 major grads. There are 3 minor grads per major grad on the Apex rear sight. Shot 3 more times, again 3 touching holes, 2 almost right on top the other. 9 minor grads lifted point of impact 4.5 inches at 25 yards. This is precisely 2 MOA per grad. So one minor grad is 1/2 inch at 25 yards, 1" at 50 yards, 1.5" at 75 yards, and of course 2" at 100 yards. Perfect!

Did some more fine tuning with the sights. The final 3 shots were a 2" group at 75 yards (a little under 3 MOA). This with the fiber optic sights which is basically what I get from the sidekick. I am very impressed cuz I'm not that great a shot, no bags, just resting on carpet laid over a boulder.

This is gonna be my load, I think, for my hunt in OK next week with my dad. Was planning to takethe sidekick, but the Apex will get the pleasure if the opportunity is afforded me to discharge the rifle at game.

What impressed me most is that I had ZERO blowback. When I brought the rifle home, I dropped the breech and show my wife. She said, "I though you were going out to shoot". I said, "I did,, I did" . The breech was totally clean. I am so not worried about the firing pin mech and the scope I'll be puttin on her. What a pleasure it was to shoot. Every time I dropped the breech, POP!, out came the 209 , I didn't have to dig or pry, literally never touched a 209 to remove it from the breech plug.

Looking forward to posting more as I learn more. But this is pretty much it for now.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Apex's first outing

Well congratulation on a great shooter. Sounds like you have it all under control and will have a wonderful rifle. Good luck on your next shoot as well.. Good luck hunting too.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Well congratulation on a great shooter. Sounds like you have it all under control and will have a wonderful rifle. Good luck on your next shoot as well.. Good luck hunting too.
Thanks Dave. So far so good! As far as hunting, I'll probably need all the help I can get ! Sure hope I harvest one andmaybe recover a 270 ballet.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Those ball-ets are a real good load.

I have a friend that shoots a Wolverine and all he has ever used is 270 gr ball-ets. He gets his couple deer every year and he once bragged that 90 grains of Pyrodex and a ball-et dropped them faster then his 30-06. I told him that's because he took his time and made sure he placed his shot with the ball-et. He just smiled and said, that might be true.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Those ball-ets are a real good load.

I have a friend that shoots a Wolverine and all he has ever used is 270 gr ball-ets. He gets his couple deer every year and he once bragged that 90 grains of Pyrodex and a ball-et dropped them faster then his 30-06. I told him that's because he took his time and made sure he placed his shot with the ball-et. He just smiled and said, that might be true.
Dave, I have no doubt that its true. Do you rememberwhen Sharpshooter recovered some bullets from buckets of sand. I tried that afterwards also. The 270 ballet expanded to 13/16" inches. Made a formidable mushroom.

I can hardly wait .
Old 12-16-2006, 08:43 PM

Dang, I'm starting to get talked into this gun. I'm not into that brand but I don't see why it wouldn't be worth the money. I'm definetely contemplating the purchase.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: outdoorslover

Dang, I'm starting to get talked into this gun. I'm not into that brand but I don't see why it wouldn't be worth the money. I'm definetely contemplating the purchase.
I am very pleased so far.

I just cleaned the rifle. As I thought, she cleaned easy. Keeps getting better. I want to scope her so bad I can not stand it. My scopes on back order. But with a 2" open sight group at 75 yards, I expect I will skinny that down to MOA with a scope. We will see . . .
Old 12-17-2006, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am new to muzzleloading and purchased an Apex in late October. So far I've been happy with it. I've been using the 100 grains of the Triple Seven pellets and have been using 295 grain powerbelt and 300 grain superglide shockwaves. They seem to shoot about the same.
There is one thing I don't quite understand. In the manual it says that it is magnum capable and can shoot 150 grains of Triple Seven pellets. It also says not to use more than 100 grains of loose powder. I understand that you only need 85 percent of loose triple seven to equal the pellets. So if you take 85 percent of 150 you get 127.5 grains of loose. Why would it be ok to shoot 150 grains of the pellets but then you must limit yourself to 100 grains of the loose?
Its not that I think I need to shoot maximum loads. I bought some Triple Seven ff loose to try out and I plan on starting at about 85 grains and going up from there. If I want to be totally safe, (which I do), do I need to stop at 100.
Thanks,
Art
Old 12-17-2006, 10:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

flounder33

I bought some Triple Seven ff loose to try out and I plan on starting at about 85 grains and going up from there. If I want to be totally safe, (which I do), do I need to stop at 100.
Yep! you do if you want to comply with the manufactures standard and remain in the safe area. Part of the reasoning is human mistakes if they say 100 and you goof a little bit and get 110-120 you might be ok. but if you load 127 and goof you might not be so ok...

And then again if you go the to the Hodogons (spelling) web site you will see that their max laods are 100 grains...

One additional point - 100 grains of loose T7-2f is way hotter than 100 grains of T7 pellets - might be worth 110/115 grains of the pellets. Mt suggestion if you can make the switch to loose it is a better move... You will get more consistent loads.. Gosh one more thing very few modern ML's can burn more than 120 grains of powder any more than that and you will be shooting un-burnt powder out the barrel.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:20 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: flounder33

There is one thing I don't quite understand. In the manual it says that it is magnum capable and can shoot 150 grains of Triple Seven pellets. It also says not to use more than 100 grains of loose powder. I understand that you only need 85 percent of loose triple seven to equal the pellets. So if you take 85 percent of 150 you get 127.5 grains of loose. Why would it be ok to shoot 150 grains of the pellets but then you must limit yourself to 100 grains of the loose?
Its not that I think I need to shoot maximum loads. I bought some Triple Seven ff loose to try out and I plan on starting at about 85 grains and going up from there. If I want to be totally safe, (which I do), do I need to stop at 100.
Thanks,
Art
The reasons why a manufacturer puts those limits on their rifle is I am sure a safety as much as a liability issue. Who knows, maybe some independant testing was done with pressures in the barrel between loose and pellet. All that pressure stuff is way over my head. The important thing is follow the recommendations of the manufacturer. The recommendations I am sure are there for a reason, your safety. To be safe, follow them. Also what a lot of people fail to understand is, do not underestimate the power of 100 grains of powder. That is a lot of power. More them most would ever need unless shooting extreme distances at large animals. I remember when I got my first inline, a CVA Staghorn Magnum and I read the manual and saw that 100 grain limit and thought.. this is a magnum rifle .. what the heck!! Just stop your loose powder charges at 100 grains like they suggest and you should be safe.

Also if you look on a Hodgdon's Powder web site, it might interest you to know they do not suggest 150 grain loads with pellets. Try and find velocity numbers on 150 grain loads. You will normally have to look at someone individual who did the testing over a chronograph on their own.

Quick Reply: Apex's first outing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.