HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Apex's first outing
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2006, 11:20 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Apex's first outing

ORIGINAL: flounder33

There is one thing I don't quite understand. In the manual it says that it is magnum capable and can shoot 150 grains of Triple Seven pellets. It also says not to use more than 100 grains of loose powder. I understand that you only need 85 percent of loose triple seven to equal the pellets. So if you take 85 percent of 150 you get 127.5 grains of loose. Why would it be ok to shoot 150 grains of the pellets but then you must limit yourself to 100 grains of the loose?
Its not that I think I need to shoot maximum loads. I bought some Triple Seven ff loose to try out and I plan on starting at about 85 grains and going up from there. If I want to be totally safe, (which I do), do I need to stop at 100.
Thanks,
Art
The reasons why a manufacturer puts those limits on their rifle is I am sure a safety as much as a liability issue. Who knows, maybe some independant testing was done with pressures in the barrel between loose and pellet. All that pressure stuff is way over my head. The important thing is follow the recommendations of the manufacturer. The recommendations I am sure are there for a reason, your safety. To be safe, follow them. Also what a lot of people fail to understand is, do not underestimate the power of 100 grains of powder. That is a lot of power. More them most would ever need unless shooting extreme distances at large animals. I remember when I got my first inline, a CVA Staghorn Magnum and I read the manual and saw that 100 grain limit and thought.. this is a magnum rifle .. what the heck!! Just stop your loose powder charges at 100 grains like they suggest and you should be safe.

Also if you look on a Hodgdon's Powder web site, it might interest you to know they do not suggest 150 grain loads with pellets. Try and find velocity numbers on 150 grain loads. You will normally have to look at someone individual who did the testing over a chronograph on their own.