Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Muzzle loading Wanna be >

Muzzle loading Wanna be

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Muzzle loading Wanna be

Old 12-14-2006, 12:21 PM

Default Muzzle loading Wanna be

Looking to purchase a ML in the next few months. Don't want to spend too much as I will be just starting out. I have seen the CVA Wolf and Kodiak and kind of like them. Any opinions????
Old 12-14-2006, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Muzzle loading Wanna be

Im new here too, got a CVA Wolf wrapped under the tree ready for me. I went to Cabelas and Bass Pro web site. The reviews on the Wolf were good from the folks that have already bought them. Looking forward to being able to take mine out and shoot.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

halvtaz

Right now the craze seems to be the Apex from Cabelas - it is a really dencent ML for$200+ there is a $20.00 dollar off cupon on the home page of Cabelas although for the $80 more you can get a TC Omega Z5....

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/common/search/search-results1.jsp?QueryText=winchester+apex&N=4887& amp;Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&a mp;Ntt=winchester+apex&noImage=0

between the wolf & the Kodiac I would vote Kodiac...
Old 12-14-2006, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

If you want my opinion the NEF sidekick is the best of the low priced muzzleloaders. I have one and it shoots like none other. Also it is a well made American muzzleloader. The only thing that I dont care for is the ramord but i can deal with it. hope this helps. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?id=0027233&navCount=1&parentId=cat 20815&masterpathid=&navAction=push&cmC at=MainCatcat20712-cat20815&parentType=index&indexId=cat20815 &rid= Also you should keep your eye out because most muzzleloaders will be onsale for the next few months. (invitory sales)
Old 12-14-2006, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I only had $120, this is what I would buy.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_451/products_id/34853

Here's a better pic and description.

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eShop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=R4000

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=R4106
Old 12-14-2006, 12:37 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: halvtaz

Looking to purchase a ML in the next few months. Don't want to spend too much as I will be just starting out. I have seen the CVA Wolf and Kodiak and kind of like them. Any opinions????
I have read the posts on the Wolf as well. I also shot and helped sight in a Beartooth Magnum which is a Wolf under the New Frontier brand name. It shot real well, although we only shot it to 50 yards with the open sights. 85 grains of powder and a 245 grain powerbelt was very accurate.

What you will get owning the Wolf is a very functional rifle. The stock to hardware might not be the best fit, but for the price what do you expect. With the right load, that rifle will take a deer just as well as a $500.00 muzzleloader with a stainless steel barrel and fancy thumb hole stock.

There is the issue of the Spanish barrels. Whether this bothers you is a personal thing. Some people do not purchase BPI rifles strictly for that reason. Other decide that if they follow manufacturer's recommendations and load in moderation, they are not in danger. I do own a CVA Staghorn and it is a good shooting rifle. I shoot 90 grains of 2f powder and a powerbelt, and believe me, anything in 100 yards of me would be dead.

If you're an occasional shooter or someone that wants a few extra days in the woods,this might be just the rifle for you. It is a great entry level rifle for some. There will be little or no resale to the public market should you ever want to upgrade. So if down the road you want to sell it for a better rifle, well you will take a loss on your intital investment unless you find someone that knows nothing about them.

The Kodiak which I had a chance to handle at Wal Mart.. was actually a nice fitting rifle. I kind of liked it. But my need for another inline rifle does not exhist after I got my White Ultra Mag.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Triple Se7en

That really is a good recommendation - not only a good starter but it will serve the purpose later as a more advanced gun... if it is a legal gun where he hunts....
Old 12-14-2006, 12:47 PM
Dominant Buck

On a different forum a person got one of them Yukons and said out of the box it shot really good. I'd have to go and search for the post to read more if he has posted. That's even cheaper then Sportsman's Guide had them for I think. That might be an excellent choice.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

halvtaz

I should warn you because this warning will not come posted on anything you buy.... There is a real problem with muzzleloading - it is real addictive once you start you are hooked... I don't even use my centerfires anymore although that opens up a whole nother can of worms because I just went out and bought a new Tikka 300 Winchester Mag to replace my Weatherby Vanguard that I do not use any more - I just blame it on Cayugad - he doesn't mind...

Old 12-14-2006, 12:59 PM

i'd have to go with the apex over the nef.. after you buy an replacement ramrod for the nef and the $12 primer cups, you could have bought the apex with ss barrel/black stock for $199 + $20 off with rebate. Or better yet, the apex with ss barrel/camo stock for $229 + $20 off with rebate. Im hopefully ordering one today.

Quick Reply: Muzzle loading Wanna be

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.