Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Nipple alignment

Old 12-13-2006, 08:20 AM
Typical Buck

Default Nipple alignment

I've noticed the hammer on my 30 year old 50 cal. CVA seems to contact the far side of the #11 caps when I lower the hammer manually, as I do when I'm on stand, to hold the cap on. I've never noticed this before and am wondering if it's possible the hammer beating on the nipple at the range may have rotated the bolster ever so slightly. Seems doubtful as the nipple is undamaged. Any chance I can back the bolster off a hair for better nipple alignment on a gun this old or am I just risking damage to the bolster/blueing? How would you do it? Vice grips with padding?
Old 12-13-2006, 08:55 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Nipple alignment

before I would move the bolster which might change the barrel pressures when you shoot, would a simple bending of the hammer do the same thing? I have heard of people bending hammers but have personally never did this myself. If the rifle still fires fine, I might just leave it unless of course it was a true danger.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:15 AM
Typical Buck

It's not a danger. About 1 in 8 caps fail to fire which could cost me (another) deer, and I suspect hammer contact is the issue. Bending the hammer is an idea. It's theforward edge of the hammer nicking the cap so it would almost require stretching the hammer. I am concerned if I tried that and broke the hammer I might never find a replacement. Big problem for me and all my old stuff!
Old 12-13-2006, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Buy a different nipple. Take your old one tovarious stores for a measurement. You want a slightly shorter one from the point where the threads end - to the top of the neck. Some are longer than others. There are different styles out there ... ie... HotShot, RedHot, Spitfire at Cabelas, stainless....etc.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

yeoman,

Something else which may work is to grind inside the hammer cupto align the hammer face to the nipple.

If the contact is first made on the muzzle side of the nipple face, I think a shorter nipple will exacerbate the problem. If in on the breech side, it should help, I think. The hotshots are selling at Walmart for 2.00 and they are a little longer than the standard #11 they sell.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:36 AM
Spike

You say the m/l is 30 years old? Could it be that the piviot point of the hammer has alot of wear from over the years of shooting? I would disassemble that part and check it over closely , you may need a new hammer and the pin that it piviots on. Just my thoughts.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pglasgow

If the contact is first made on the muzzle side of the nipple face, I think a shorter nipple will exacerbate the problem. If in on the breech side, it should help, I think. The hotshots are selling at Walmart for 2.00 and they are a little longer than the standard #11 they sell.
You are right - I had my opinion backwards. Being the hammer falls on a half-moon arch, the taller one may help.

Good catch Phil!
Old 12-13-2006, 01:41 PM
Typical Buck

Actually Triple, you were right the first time. A shorter nipple might work. The lead edge of the hammer lip nicks the muzzle edge of the cap, but the internal face of the hammer strikes the back edge of the cap/nipple causing ignition. If the hammer had a hair further to fall it would land more squarely on the cap and nipple. I'll have to try that. What's the hottest nipple out there and why would I consider anything "cooler"?