Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Knight Disc Extreme .45 ? >

Knight Disc Extreme .45 ?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight Disc Extreme .45 ?

Old 12-12-2006, 10:23 AM

Default Knight Disc Extreme .45 ?

OK, I am going to attempt another post. Hopefully I will thoroughly have chosen my words carefully.I have been seeing some of the Disc Extreme .45 caliber rifles going brand new for under $150.00. These have a 26" blued barrel with a 1 in 30 rifling. Would this be an OK rifle just as a second gun? When I saw a few of these I thought of picking one up to try and have as a back-up also could possibly get my Daughter's Husbands interested. Is it just better to stay in the .50 cal. category?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-12-2006, 11:01 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Knight Disc Extreme .45

If you are just hunting deer with it, the .45 cal is a good cal. MY little bro hunts with one and the one deer he shot with it dropped in its tracks.In my opinion the only real down side to the .45 is the bullet selection but it is getting better. As far astheKnight Disc Extreme goes, I have never shot oneSo i am pretty much useless.

ps. you wordedthings very good this time.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:09 AM

Thanks for the input WImuzzleman. also for the heads up on the wording, I will type my post up and walk away for awhile, then re-read before hitting send!

I figured possibly just for deer that might not be a bad deal, I figure that I will see if I get any ideas on the gun itself. I am not finding any reviews so far on this gun. I am guessing this must be a very popular rifle?

Mike
Old 12-12-2006, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

$150 for a Disc Extreme sounds like a great deal. I do not understand why everyone is bashing the 45 caliber. I can cast a 400 grain conical, and push it out at 1600 fps. Even at 1400 fps, the bullet would be deadly. Even at 1200 it would be deadly. Everybody says go to 54, well maybe if you only shoot roundballs, but I see no disadvantage with a 45 caliber conical. I beleve on average the 45 caliber conical will out shoot the 54 caliber conical for accuracy. And if weights and velocities are similar, then killing ability should be close? And if you are shoting sabots-I see no difference. I read in a different post that someone felt 75 yards was the limit for a 45 caliber? Please remember that a 45-70 is also a 45 caliber-and I would not limit a 45-70 to 75 yards. Buy the 45 and do not look back. It surely does not deserve back up status-put it up front. Tom.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:37 PM

Default RE: Knight Disco Extreme .45

Thanks Tom,
I think that I might try to grab one of those for that price. Now I just need to figure out the guidelines for Minnesota. It looks like the minimum caliber is a .40 caliber from a rifled barrel Muzzle-loader. So I am guessing that the bullets of less caliber in a Sabot would need to be a .4o caliber? I know that I had read on a forum somewhere about a promising .45 caliber Sabot with a .357 bullet. I guess this round is out for MN, too bad.

Will the 1 in 30" rifling be an OK barrel? From what it looked like in the ad they still have the Green Mountain barrel.

Thanks again,
Mike

P.S. How well does this shipping a gun to a F.F.L address work, this is an un-charted water for my-self. I see that there are a few listed not real far from where I live. Do the Muzzle-loaders still qualify as a Firearm because of the rifled barrels? I noticed that they seem to be able to ship like Hawkins direct to an address, but not this gun.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:50 PM

That may be the seller's policy. I recently purchased a Wolverine on Gunbroker and it was shipped directly to me. As for shipping to an FFL holder, it is rather simple. The best thing to do is contact the lisense holder first then make your purchase.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:11 PM

Thanks mtisw,
I am going to contact the one guy listed as being an F.F.L holder closest to here and check with him on the requirements. From what it looks like I pay the seller and they ship the gun to the license holder and I transfer it from him? Does this work the same with regular firearms as well? That site is very interesting, I like the prices on some of those Tikka rifles.

Now if I can just get some input as to the 26" barrel with the 1 in 30" rifling. I will place my order.

Mike
Old 12-12-2006, 07:20 PM

Default I think that I am going with a different gun!

Thanks for the ideas on that .45 Extreme. I think that I am going to go with a different gun though. I originally had a Pro Hunter on lay away here in town. I cancelled it and went with a Knight Extreme M.H .50 caliber, will be picking it up right after X-mas. We were at the shop today where my gun is at, we noticed that they still had my Pro Hunter in there. Tonight my wife came up with a great idea.She suggested that I go in there next Friday and put some money down on it. This is a great shop to deal with here, I love their lay away plan.Needless to say, I do not need any convincing on that idea. Now I just need to hope that it won't sell before then. I would really like to try one of those .270 or .280 caliber barrels. I have read really great reviews on those calibers.

Thanks again,
Mike