Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 flintlock suggestions >

flintlock suggestions

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

flintlock suggestions

Old 12-23-2006, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: flintlock suggestions

I bought a used TC Hawken double trigger for $300 at gunbroker.com. From an Army Navy Store in Pittsburg, very nice to deal with and the rifle was like new. I am very happy with it, having borrowed my brother's put together 45 cal for the last two years. I shot this group last weekend at 50 yards, after sighting in at 13 yards. The last two shot were after I adjusted the sights up 4". Buy a quality TC or Lyman for $100 more and have a great rifle for a lifetime. Good luck.
Chap Gleason Va

Old 12-23-2006, 09:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

look for a used TC or Lyman. i bought my TC 50cal hawken flinter used in near perfect condition for 235$ i am almost posative...that gun is a shooter.

my friend has a traditions "deer hunter" bought the same package you showed me. the lock on that thing is pretty...crude. i honestly dont know how guys say they go off good. my TC frizzen is like double the width of its!! that means the deer hunter has a way smaller flint and frizzen which equals LESS spark which equals slower and unreliable lock time. for the same money you can find a used TC or lyman if you look around...and i much rather buy my own accessories and tools rather than the traditions kit...sure the traditions kit will work...but youll be happier with better stuff...i was in the same position you were 5 years ago..but i was smart and saved a bit more...bought a TC hawken and good accessories and tools of the trade and im happy. theres so many people that are flintlock shy...the reason is the guns and gear they used probably werent very good and well maintained. you know..the guys that say they dont go off or they are inaccurate etc...thats horse poop.

let me warn you....the smoke from burnt black powder is more addictive than crack...well..you know that youve shot them already i guess....good luck.......
Old 12-23-2006, 09:35 PM

size of flint does make a difference but if the frizzen is not hardened properly it doesnt matter how big of flint you use. I shoot traditions kentucky rifle and i get lots of spark right in the pan. When i was shooting good powder out of the rifle, i could set it up to go off almost like a percussion rifle. Thats how fast it was. Now that im out of powder, its a little slow going off . Ive also read reviews on the Lyman rifles being under inletted and there being a gap between the barrel/lock and the guys loosing all of their prime powder. Been seeing a few more than normal posts about TC's not getting any spark, and after they have the frizzens rehardened, they are back in business. So it actually does not matter what size flint you use, if your frizzen isnt hardened right, kiss those sparks goodbye