Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hollowpoints...

Old 12-08-2006, 05:35 PM

Default Hollowpoints...

I had some trouble with shockwaves opening up on deer. I was faced with a decision, up the powder charge or change bullets. The bullets got changed. Put on the overalls today to put a couple hours worth of range time in. So far, the t/c cheapshot bullets are shooting best for me. Question is, this is an all lead hollowpoint. Is it possible to push 'em too fast? I want them to expand, not explode. Right now, I'm using 80 grains triple 7 ffg. And question #2, would you take a shoulder shot on a deer with these? Thanks..
Old 12-08-2006, 05:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Hollowpoints...

I think the powder charge sounds about right. You hit a shoulder, that thing will really open up. No telling how far it will penetrate, but you're going to get expansion. I think instead I would try to tuck it behind the shoulder and angle it towards the outside shoulder. Then you should really make a mess of the internal organs and still knock the deer a good jolt..

I actually like those cheap shots. I would not hesitate to shoot a deer with one of them.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:46 PM

There are allot of people using them around here for deer hunting,and getting great results. Some are using 100grs.777 with them and are really laying the deer out.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Doegirl75

I use hollow point in my muzzleloaders I am a firm believer that they work and they do the job they are suppose. I have to tell you at the present time I am shooting Nosler Partitions for deer I shoot .451 - 260 grain HP's. My most recent experiance with them re-affirms my beliefs. I shot a smal buck at a 170+ yards from my Omega. The deer was climbingup from the creek bottom at the top of the bank he paused, with a slight angle looking right at me. The only shot I had was head - neck - chest, I chose the chestpulled the trigger - the bullet entered the chest passed through the shoulder and escaped out the other side. Penetration it has it is a partition it will penetrate because it stays together. When I opened the chest cavity the heart and lungs were jelly - the bullet may have passed through the heart but it did not pass through all of the heart and/or lungs. The hydrostatic shock of the hollow point aboslutely blew up the vitals cavity. The best part as it passed through the shoulder creating a 1"+ hole it really did not destroy that much meat.

For me, because of the price of Nosler's now, I am working with theSpeer Gold Dots both the .452 - 250 grain and the300 grain. They are bonded and will not come apart, they are also designed so that petals will open to a certainpoint, down to the copper dot in the middle and then stop - so you have all the weight of the lead on the petals and the weight of the lead in the base providing penetration. The copper petals do a tremendouse job cutting tissue as it passes through. The 300 grain has a very good BC for a HP - something like 230.

Hope I have not confused the issue and good luck in your search...

Old 12-08-2006, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll second what cayugad said.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jennifer

These will expand nicely with 70-110 grains and take out both shoulders going in. Read both reviews while there at Cabelas. Use around 75-90 grains of powder with them.... may need a wonderwad - may not!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712-cat20720-cat200005&id=0020974214556a&navCount=2&amp ;podId=0020974214556&parentId=cat200005&ma sterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IG& amp;rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20000 5&hasJS=true
Old 12-08-2006, 10:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

How much to they weigh?
Old 12-08-2006, 10:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Cheap Shots are 240 grains of pure lead with a slight hollow indent on the nose. They shoot as well as the 240 grain XTP's in most rifles. I have a CVA Staghorn that just nails it when loaded with 90 grains and one of these. They really are a nice projectile and very reasonable.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes you can overdrive lead bullets,the first thing that shows when you do is loss of accuracy, as long as they maintain accuracy you will have a good working bullet. Lee