Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Plastic Fouling in Barrel >

Plastic Fouling in Barrel

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Plastic Fouling in Barrel

Old 12-07-2006, 06:29 PM

Default Plastic Fouling in Barrel

I have something just ahead of my breech plug in a Knight LK93 Wolverine. It doesn't look like pitting or corrosion. I've tried Ed's red solvent, JB Bore Paste and a brass cleaning brush to no avail. Will work at some more thisweekend.

What does the sabot plastic fouling look like and where does it typically appear?
Old 12-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Plastic Fouling in Barrel

I would doubt if it is plastic fowling after what you have attempeted to use. I just checked my Wolverine LK-93 and see nothing of what you're describing. Could it possibly be a rust stain or some other kind of stain in the bore?
Old 12-07-2006, 06:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

i had something in my shotgun,bore did not look bright /clean..i used new hoppes stuff that is in little spray bottle..

i then took regular stinky hoppes and barrel came out real clean..

sometimes the stuff you use will not remove whatever is in bore and you have to go back to old stand-by..

hoppes stinky no.9..
Old 12-07-2006, 07:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

If its breach plug grease burned in its going to be very diffacult to get it off. Lee
Old 12-07-2006, 08:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

ko4nrbs

I do not know if you use a BP anit-sieze grease or not - but back when I was I tried both a copper based and an aluminum based grease - like ;ee said - after doing that it took me forever to get the copper and aluminum bits out of the barrel down near the breech area. The stuff was shot right into the pores of the metal... I did come out eventually as I continued to shoot and clean...

Again I do not if this gives you any answers...

Plastic fouling: It should appear as black flakes usually caught behind the riflings (spelling). If you have shot shot guns you have seen this black fluffy stuff shot out of the chokeevery once in awhile.

Pouring boiling water down the barrel will fluff it up and release it so that you can swab it out.... but considering what you have already tried I am doubting plastic fouling...

Old 12-08-2006, 05:05 AM

If you think your having sabot residue left in the barrel,(it should be all along the inside of the bore,not just in the breech area) you can use this stuff. It will cut out any plastic left in the bore. Ron http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=19937&s=
Old 12-08-2006, 03:29 PM

I bought this gun used and don't know if the previous owner used breech grease or not. I'll try the hot water. I used an ice pick to drag across the areas and felt no pits, etc. May be a stain.
Bill
Old 12-08-2006, 03:35 PM
Dominant Buck

My CVA Staghorn Magnum is a Nickel plated rifle. Ithas a black breech plug stain that looks like a black dot. It isjust in front of the breech plug. I have tried about everything you can think of to get that spot off, but it seems determined to stay. So I finally decided it adds character to My rifle and have accepted it. The rifle shoots fine, spot and all..
Old 12-08-2006, 05:04 PM

I'll shoot it and see how the accuracy is. If I can get good groups I'll just live with the fouling or whatever it is.

I have an old Russian military rifle that has a real sewer pipe bore, best shooter I have!!
Bill