Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Hornady SST vs. T/C Shockwaves whats the difference >

Hornady SST vs. T/C Shockwaves whats the difference

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hornady SST vs. T/C Shockwaves whats the difference

Old 12-05-2006, 09:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default Hornady SST vs. T/C Shockwaves whats the difference

bought a new prohunter, haven't shot it yet and trying to get a feeling what is working for people. Plan on shooting 777 loose or pellets (if my groups don't open up too much). Just wondering what is the difference between the Hornady SST and the TC shockwaves? The tc XTP and the hornady xtp look the same and thought I heard they're made by hornady to TC. Anyway, real question are people seeing any difference between the SST & Shockwaves.

Also, how to people like the powerbelts and how are the shooting throught the new TC Prohunter. I like the idea of no sabot, but don't want to sacrifice anything just because it a little easier.

Lastly, what primers are working best with 777 loose and which ones for pellets?

thanks,
Dave
Old 12-05-2006, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hornady SST vs. T/C Shockwaves whats the difference

There is only a cosmetic difference in the bullet. Now depending on store/bullet-packaging age, you may find the SST tougher to load - due to a thicker sabot. Supposedly, that's now been simplified & the regular Shockwaves & SSTsproduced today have the same MMP sabot. Outside of all that, the only difference is price.

If you are purchasing a T/C gun, you want Winchester Triple Se7en primers with 777 powder. Copper-only Powerbelts (245-405) are popular when used with semi-medium powder loads (70-90 gr loose). The only lead Powerbelts that are good performers are the 405 grain. The recommended 338 gr. Platinum Belts seem to perform best at 120 grains (Pellets)or less. The equivalent in 777 loose powder would be 105 grains or less.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:58 AM
Fork Horn

forgot to mention I purchased a Nikon Omea scope w/ BDC 250. So I'm going to be shooting a magnum load. either 3-50gr. 77 or 120 loose. Seems like a better stick with the SST's or the Shockwaves and the powerbelts seem to really expand too much over 70-90 gr.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Kirch

Seems like a better stick with the SST's or the Shockwaves and the powerbelts seem to really expand too much over 70-90 gr.
Couldn't have said it better myself. The all lead PowerBelts less than 400 grs expand far to quickly in my opinion. A buddy of mine has taken 5 deer with the 295 HP PowerBelt and has NOT had a passthrough on any of them. A couple deer were only in the 90lbs range and he shot them broadside at less than 50 yards with a load under 100gr of Pyrodex....still no passthrough.

Like the previous posted said, the PowerBelts are real accurate and shoot well out of a number of different MLs, but if you plan on really pushing that projectile, you better stick with the higher weight all lead version, the areo tipped copper clad lower weight version, or the new super expensive platinum version.

Don't risk that critter getting away after the PowerBelt over expands and fragments to dust.