Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega +777= CRUD!

Old 12-04-2006, 09:39 AM

Default Omega +777= CRUD!

Finally got a chance to do some shooting with my new Omega.100 grains(2 pellets)777,kleenbore primers and 250 grain regular shockwave.After only 1 shot I could not load to the proper depth(at least without a mallet) unless I swabbed the barrel.I have had guns that got difficult to load after several shots(ie get the bullet down the barrel) but never one where I could not seat the bullet after only one shot.once I started spit patching between shots it actually shot and grouped good at 100 yds.The difference in sight impact on a second shot without swabbing was 3.5" high.

For know I will stick with the 777 I really don't want to shoot pyrodex.I would rather use one of the newer less fouling powders.So what can I use in this gun and not have to deal with the crud ring.I want to be able to get off a follow up shot without swabbing the barrel.

Thanks,
CB
Old 12-04-2006, 09:54 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Omega +777= CRUD!

My stainless Omega has been a 777 crud ring maker from the start. I have tried everything (ran 200up and 200 down passes with JB bore paste) , tried all three styles of breechplug (flat, small recess, big recess) ,Switched to the .25ACP conversion breechplug.Nothing fixed the problem. The .25ACP was the most effective but with Tripple Seven there was still not a possiblity of a second shot without a spit patch in between loading. Then I found Black Mag'3 and have not shot anything else since. I can load four or five shots without any trouble and could probably do a lot more but have not had any reason to do so. I still have to be sure to select the bullets of .451 not .452 and use Harvester sabots. I have never found any T/C bullet sabot combinations that will go down my barrel. Maybe I have been getting old stock as the first ones were supposed to be bad but supposedly they have fixed the problem now. Use Black Mag'3 and you will give up on the 777 cruddy crap.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CAJUNBOWHNTR

Finally got a chance to do some shooting with my new Omega.100 grains(2 pellets)777,kleenbore primers and 250 grain regular shockwave.After only 1 shot I could not load to the proper depth(at least without a mallet) unless I swabbed the barrel.I have had guns that got difficult to load after several shots(ie get the bullet down the barrel) but never one where I could not seat the bullet after only one shot.once I started spit patching between shots it actually shot and grouped good at 100 yds.The difference in sight impact on a second shot without swabbing was 3.5" high.

For know I will stick with the 777 I really don't want to shoot pyrodex.I would rather use one of the newer less fouling powders.So what can I use in this gun and not have to deal with the crud ring.I want to be able to get off a follow up shot without swabbing the barrel.
You got a few choices that'll alleviate that.

Swab after every shot
Switch powder
Switch plastic sabot
Switch 209 primer to Winchester Triple Se7en
Old 12-04-2006, 10:08 AM

In my Encore, I have found that the loose powder is much better about not leaving a crud ring and tends to be more accurate than the pellets. Not that much more trouble either. I have also found that the more powder you use, the more likely a crud ring will form. I had been using 110 grains loose for the last three years. This year, I started trying 125 grains loose. I didn't get as good accuracy and the crud ring I had lost, came back. So, I went back to 110 and no more crud ring.
Every gun is different.

Hank
Old 12-04-2006, 10:15 AM

Where can I get some blackmag3? At this point it would be easier to switch powders.

Thanks
CB
Old 12-04-2006, 10:49 AM
Typical Buck

Black Mag'3 is from Magkor and they have gone factory direct. You will have to pay the $20 hazmat fee so order more than a few pounds. I ordered five and after finding how it works I wish I had ordered ten. I will try to get the phone number for you to call. I have it somewhere. In fact it was posted several times but I forget which site.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

CAJUNBOWHNTR

There are probably a 100 different theories about the Underclocked's famous "Crud Ring" and I have know idea what one might be the best one... And I do not know why some guns get it and some do not... My Omega, actually all of my ML's, have been spared this disease. I have know idea why.Maybe it is my method of barrel care - I just do not know.

The first couple of shots from a very clean slightly oiled barrel always produces a very small ring - one that I could load by if I needed to, but after 3 - 5 shots (swabbing between shots) the ring really does not build up - I can shoot 4 additional shots without the fowling interferring with the loading. When hunting I do carry a speedloader with a MMP-3p-EZload sabot and bullets so I could easily get by any fowling if I needed to for a quicker 2nd shot if needed.

Since I am one of the fortunate ones - I will stick with T7 it has been very efficient for me. I should note I use loose T7 - pellets might be a different problem altogether.

Old 12-04-2006, 11:35 AM
Typical Buck

I used loose ffg T7 and that is what I had all the problem with. I also was shooting a very clean barrel. No lube , cleaned with alcohol mixed with windshield washer fluid. I tried bore butter just before loading, nothing worked. Here are the numbers I have for access to the Magkor ordering:

(407) 682-4742 I know this is a good number as I just talked with them. They sent me an example of a shipment which is as follows:
Minimum order of four pounds = 83.80 + hazmat 20.00 + 18.00 shipping equals a total of $121.80. That works out to about $30 a pound. If you order more the price per pound drops. At twelve pounds which is the maximum amount they will ship for the 18.00 flat fee the price per pound drops to $25. These are current prices but you can get the final from the sales person you talk to. Good luck, and if you want to mention that this came from Keith Lewis that is OK with me. I have no interest in the Magkor company other than I love the Black Mag'3 powder and have been promoting it since I found it. They do know who I am.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:54 AM

Thanks!

CB
Old 12-04-2006, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can get Black Mag 3 from a cabelas as well. My buddy had the same problem with his Encore. Many have said that switching to a different primer helped them. (not as hot burning primer). He switched to black mag and still has a little problem with accuracy.

Look at the American Pioneer Powder as well. I am trying that next, even though I have never had a problem with 777. I want to compare accuracy with the two powders.

The last two years I have only shot 3 shots with 3 dead deer so I probably shouldn't change but it's fun tinkering with the ML.

Quick Reply: Omega +777= CRUD!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.