Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 I'm about to throw this thing in the lake >

I'm about to throw this thing in the lake

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I'm about to throw this thing in the lake

Old 12-01-2006, 06:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default I'm about to throw this thing in the lake

I shot at a deer last weekend at 50 yards i had a good rest on the side of a tree, i missed the deer but i hit a branch 3 feet above it. i went back to the yard and shot 3 shots at a target @ 50 yards the hits were all over the place. i was shooting harvseter 300 gr. sabertooths they look like power belts with 100 gr. of 777. now my best group is with 295gr power belts with 95gr. of 777 but i was out and the sabertooths were all i could find so i just added 5grs. of powder to make up the diffrence. this was on a sundy i started shooting at noon i shot everything i had 240-300grain sabots to 223gr-338gr powerbelts and charges from 80 grains-100grains, i am afraide to go over a 100gr because of the kick. i clean my gun spotless after every shot but i couldn't get anything under a 6 inch group. i shoot a cva wolf.
pat
Old 12-01-2006, 06:59 AM

Default RE: I'm about to throw this thing in the lake

Pat, the sad part is,some guns are shooters,and some aren't. My wife shoots a Knight Wolverine. It's a low end gun,but they are shooters. I've watched her shoot 3 bullets into the same hole at 100yds. off the bench. I've had some "real bargin" guns,and most were disapointments. On the other hand I've picked up some really nice guns,at pawn shops,dealers,ect, used that were excellent shooters. The NEF muzzle loader,Knight Wolverine,and a few others are proven tack drivers. Look for sales,and buy the best you can afford. It makes all the diffrence in the world! Ron
Old 12-01-2006, 07:09 AM

ORIGINAL: BOYWONDER

i clean my gun spotless after every shot but i couldn't get anything under a 6 inch group. i shoot a cva wolf.
That was my experince with a CVA. The only thing it shot well enough were Powerbelts. I got sick of messing with it and sold it a long time ago.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:00 AM

Get away from those Powerbelts and that Sabertooth and try some Shockwaves or some from bullets from Precision, unless Mn doesn't allow sabots.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

Pat, I would try some loose Pyrodex out of it. A lot of guns like 85-95 grs of Pyrodex. Another option is to try some 777or Pyrodex pellets.I have a friend of mine that has a CVA and his won't shoot anything but loose Pyrodex. If he shoots anything else, it looks like a shotgun pattern. Also make sure that your loading routine is exactly the same every time. Any slight differences in loading can have a significant effect on POI. Also, if you are using a scope, make sure all of your screws are tight. I use Loc-tite on mine. Letting the barrel cool a few minutes between shots is also a good idea. I wouldn't throw the gun away just yet.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:04 AM

Right on txfireman. i would get some loose Pyrodex and 250 grain Shockwaves or SSTsand give it a try. Sighted in a lot of different makes of guns for my friends and this combination always seemed to work well. Start with 80 grains of powderand work it up to 90 or 100.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

CVA's are picky about loads that's true so that could be part of your problem. But before I go buying all kinds of new powder/bullets I'm going to double check the screws on my scope mount and rings if I was you. Lock those things down. Good luck with it and don't give up yet. I know that it isn't a top-of-the-line gun but I have seen them shoot great groups so it is possible. Let us know what you figure out.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:32 AM
Fork Horn

i used pyrodex when i first got the gun, i hated it nothing but trouble,and what a bear to clean, i'm going to try some American pioneer powder,
i've heard a lot of good things about shockwave bullets. if i don't find a load fo this gun i'm throwing a $100 tag on it. i knew i should have gotten the kodiak.
pat
Old 12-01-2006, 09:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Your switching to a different brand of projectile was your first mistake. When you're sighted in with Powerbelts, unfortunatly your stuck shooting them. I have a CVA Staghorn Magnum and it shoots Powerbelts in 245 grain with 90 gr of Goex 2f excellent. You switch to something else and you have to make sure to test the load.

Try some 240 grain XTP's with 80 grains of powder. Shoot them first somewhere before you hunt. They should shoot well out of your rifle. At least my friends Beartooth shoots them well and they are basically the same thing. Of course that's no guarantee that your rifle will shoot them.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BOYWONDER

if i don't find a load fo this gun i'm throwing a $100 tag on it. i knew i should have gotten the kodiak.
Blaming the gun because you ran out of Powerbelts & never tested the Sabertoothsis a lame excuse. The barrel on the Kodiak isessentially the same compsitionas what's on yourWolf. The price difference between the Kodiak and Wolf is all the stuff that gets attached to the barrel. If you are serious about upgrading, buy a Thompson Center.

Quick Reply: I'm about to throw this thing in the lake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.