Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

.54 Questions

Old 11-23-2006, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default .54 Questions

I am buyinga new .54 T/C Renegade from Fox Ridge Outfitters. I have a .50 T/C Firestorm so I am well versed in the basics of ML'ing and I have most of the supplies. I am trying to make a list of the supplies I need for the new caliber, and this is what I have thought of. What else is there?
.54 T/C Maxi-Hunter bullets
.530 Round balls
Patches....what should the diameter of the patches be?
.54 Bronze Brush/Jag/etc
.54 Speed Loaders
I know there is more, I just can't think of it. I have some Black English Flints for my other ML....is the lock the same size on the new one, so I can use the same sized flints for both, or do I need to get some larger ones?
I know this is kind of a vague question, any suggestions that I forgot to ask for are greatly appreciated.
Old 11-23-2006, 02:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: .54 Questions

I have a 54 Renagade and mine does much better with .535 ball than a 530 I use a ticking patch,I also use a musket nipple and musket caps as black is had to get and so I use pyrodex.Lee
Old 11-23-2006, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

My renegade likes .530 balls with a .015 patch. Start off with .015 pre cut pre lubed patches.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

You guys said start out w/ .015 patches....but what diameter should the patches be? I never seem to be able to find patches specifically for ".54's"....they say 1.25" diameter....are those the correct diameter ones? I normally shoot Maxi-Hunters out of my .50, but I want to try some RB out of the .54, just to get some practice with it while saving some money.
Old 11-23-2006, 05:09 PM
Dominant Buck

The pre cut patches are normally labeled .54/.56 caliber. Most of the things you use for the .50 caliber Firestorm you own, will also work for the Renegade. I shoot the .530 ball and use a pillow tick that I cut at the muzzle.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:37 PM
Fork Horn

I don't shoot the Renegade any longer, but I shoot .535 Hornaday's with .01554/56 patches in my Lyman
Old 11-23-2006, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good place for patches here.

http://thunder-ridge-muzzleloading.com/patches.htm#patches
Old 11-24-2006, 07:49 AM

ORIGINAL: PA Bow/Flinter

[align=left]I am buyinga new .54 T/C Renegade from Fox Ridge Outfitters. I have a .50 T/C Firestorm so I am well versed in the basics of ML'ing and I have most of the supplies. I am trying to make a list of the supplies I need for the new caliber, and this is what I have thought of. What else is there?[/align][align=left][/align][align=left].54 T/C Maxi-Hunter bullets[/align][align=left].530 Round balls[/align][align=left]Patches....what should the diameter of the patches be?[/align][align=left].54 Bronze Brush/Jag/etc[/align][align=left].54 Speed Loaders[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]I know there is more, I just can't think of it. I have some Black English Flints for my other ML....is the lock the same size on the new one, so I can use the same sized flints for both, or do I need to get some larger ones?[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]I know this is kind of a vague question, any suggestions that I forgot to ask for are greatly appreciated.[/align]
An excellent rifle, excellent caliber...here's a few opinions from my experiences with TC.54cal Hawkens:

The .530/230grn ball will take most large game in NA without any concerns at all...patched ball hunting loadsare pretty fast,give a pretty flattrajectory, and are very accurate.

The huge, heavy, expensive.54cal conicals are great for moose and some bears, but overkill in the deer hunting department, and the recoil will punish you.

I settled onHornady.530s and TC's .018" prelubed pillow ticking patches (1+3/8" diameter);

I also use an Oxyoke prelubed wonderwad over the powder when using stout hunting loads...improves a number of things like velocity, consistency, accuracy, more lube in the bore to reduce fouling, etc.

Yes, TC'sFlintlock assemblies are the same,are interchangeable, and your new purchase will have the new improved Flint lock assembly on it...100% reliable, good sparks, long flint life, etc.

3/4" (by 7/8" long) Tom Fuller black english flints are hands down the best in TC's new redsigned locks, averaging 60-80 shots per flint;

Be sure to get a 'ball puller', and I've found TC's 4-N-1 Speed Loaders to be the top of the heap of all speedloaders on the market...the built in short starter makes it an outstanding unit.

I've found the 3grn plunger /dispenser type pan primers to be excellent, throwing a just the right amount of Goex 4F for TC locks;

Hope this helps...
Old 11-24-2006, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the input so far guys. One more thing I've thought of...where can I buy sling swivel attachments? I can't seem to find them for ML's (ie. with a ramrod attachment) anywhere? I know they make and sell them, but where is it?
Old 11-24-2006, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PA Bow/Flinter

One more thing I've thought of...where can I buy sling swivel attachments?
I saw sets for the TC at Sportsmans Warehouse. I don't recall the cost. I would think you could get them from Fox Ridge fer sure.

Quick Reply: .54 Questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.