Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 trouble at the range >

trouble at the range

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

trouble at the range

Old 11-20-2006, 07:50 PM

Default trouble at the range

Today at the range I was having an annoying problem. After a shot I would run a patch with cleaning solvent sprayedon it through my barrel, no problem. But then I would run a dry patch through it, and if I pushed the patch all the way to the breech plug it would get stuck and I would be unable to pull it out. No problem with the patches with cleaner, just thd dry ones. The first time it happend I dissasembled the rifle and pushed it the rest of the way through. The 2nd time it happend I almost through my rifle, however, I controled myself and instead just decided to call it a day an hour before I planned to. Very dissapointing. Anyone have any ideas why I am having this problem with my dry patches?
Old 11-20-2006, 08:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: trouble at the range

If you were sure the damp patch cleaned the fowling out well, next time make sure the dry patch is;

#1 not an over sized patch
#2 work in short strokes of 2-3 inches
#3 if you feel the patch getting hard to move pull it.
#4 get a T- handle for the other end of the ramrod... you can stand on that and force the ramrod back up the barrel without taking the rifle apart.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:17 PM
Typical Buck

I dunno.... blow the thing out with a primer (course then you've got to clean a bit more). Maybe fold the patch to it is a bit tighter? Make sure you don't have a fired primer in the breechplug, so less vacuum is created when pulling that dry patch back toward the muzzle?
Old 11-21-2006, 01:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Need more info!

First time using the ML?

First time using these patches? Were they polyester or cotton?

Is it the first time for this cleaning solvent?

Do you use a bore brush or jag under the patches?

Are you shooting sabots?

Old 11-21-2006, 04:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well if the ramrod with a dry patch got stuck andI couldn't pull it back up I would simple pour a little cleaning solvent down the barrel to dampen it and help break up the fouling that is obviously still down there. That usually works. Of course you will then need to run another dry patch down before firing again. I've had it happen to me once and this did the trick for me. Better quicker option than having to disassemble the gun.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are you running the wet patch down on both sides? I usually run it down in short strokes, as stated, and then turn it over and run it down a second time before switching to the dry patch.

Also, did you buy a new jag? I have an Omega, which tends to run slightly small, and bought a new jag not made by T/C. It was too big and I had the same trouble you describe. Had to go back to a T/C made jag.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:39 AM
Typical Buck

You probably aren't sufficiently cleaning the fouling from the bore with the first patch. You want that patch damp but not soaking wet. I store my presoaked patched in a small glass jar or in a small women's powder case when in the field. The proper amount of moisture on the patch is seen when you can't wring any drops out of it by squeezing and twisting it. If your "damp" patch isn't sufficiently moist then you are probably not getting all the fouling out. I also use a T-handle on the rod - do you have one?

1. Damp patch (I use 50:50 isopropyl alcohol and WWF) down the bore in short strokes. Flip it and repeat. After 10 shots at the range I swab more thoroughly - swab once, flip and swab, then get a new damp patch and repeat.

2. Dry patch in short strokes.

Doing this I've never had a patch stuck.

To get a stuck patch out there are several options.

1. Buy a patch puller, which is nothing more that some curved wires on a tool that screwes into your ramrod. I take one in the field with me along with a ball puller and T-handle. Whith those three things I can remove a stuck patch or a stuck bullet and still keep hunting.

2. Pour a small amount of cleaning solvent or alcohol down the bore and it will loosen the patch and make it easy to pull out.