Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 couple questions about #11 caps >

couple questions about #11 caps

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

couple questions about #11 caps

Old 11-15-2006, 01:37 PM

Default couple questions about #11 caps

I posted a message earlier today regarding using #11 caps with the 777 50 grain pellets and after the responses and some more reading I headed to the big hunting wonderland and picked up some 777 FFG powder to use with my #11 caps.

Anyhow I am using an CVA elkhorn magnum inline with the #11 caps but the caps must be struck twice before they fire. I have tried this probably 10 times so far. I get a good click on the first trigger pull and have a good dimple on the cap but it does not fire until I recock and sqeeze the trigger a second time.

right now the breechplug is in hand tight according to manufacturers recomendation. is there something else I should be looking at
?
Old 11-15-2006, 01:54 PM

Default RE: couple questions about #11 caps

could be bad caps. why dont u just convert it over to 209's? A lot less trouble and u can go back to using your pellets. I think a 209 breech plus is like $10-15? Beats screwing around and wondering if it will go off. How does that elkhorn shoot? i was looking at one at walmart for cheap.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:57 PM
Dominant Buck

posted a message earlier today regarding using #11 caps with the 777 50 grain pellets and after the responses and some more reading I headed to the big hunting wonderland and picked up some 777 FFG powder to use with my #11 caps.

Anyhow I am using an CVA elkhorn magnum inline with the #11 caps but the caps must be struck twice before they fire. I have tried this probably 10 times so far. I get a good click on the first trigger pull and have a good dimple on the cap but it does not fire until I recock and sqeeze the trigger a second time.

right now the breechplug is in hand tight according to manufacturers recomendation. is there something else I should be looking at
?

[hr]

Did you have trouble with the caps going off before you went to the loose powder? This almost sounds like a spring or tension problem in the firing mechanism of the rifle. Also check and make sure the #11 nipple is not worn. It could be the first strike is setting the cap and the second strike is firing the cap.

A new nipple might be in order. Make sure you are seating those caps as solid onto the nipple as possible. In some cases I have heard of the caps being hard to seat all the way flush on the nipple. People have taken the #11 nipple, placed it in a drill, and using some emery cloth, turned the nipple down just a little so the caps fit better.

I am not aware of the kind of firing mechanism your ElkHorn has. Is this a bolt, or striker system? First thing I would do is clean this area real well and make sure it is not all gummed up with crud and oil. In some of the bolt guns, you have to make sure the hole that the firing pin comes through is free and clear and does not do anything to make the pin slow down.

In the hammer/striker guns, be sure that the slide area is nice and clean. Also check the spring and make sure that is all clean as well.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:59 PM

actually before u do that, i just remembered my classic arms new orleans ace pistol. When i built the thing, i couldnt get it to fire off the cap, i used to have to back the nipple out 2 or 3 turns and then it would go off. Try unscrewing your "nipple" 2 or 3 turns and see if it will go off with 1 cap. dont load it, just put the cap on and test it. Some nipples are to short and dont let the hammer hit them all the way.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:14 PM

with regards to using the 209 primers I cant use them in the hunt here in idaho (I had bought the pellets before I knew I should use the 209 primers with them)
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1800747

with regards to parts being warn this is a new rifle that I am just trying to get ready for hunting this weekend. I was using a barrowed rifle but the guy who owned it did not take care of it. rusted nipples barrel etc so I figured I am better off trying to get a new rifle working on short notice than use a mishandled non maintained piece of junk.

Caps are new Bought them last night.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:32 PM

doesnt matter if its new. the nipple could be slightly undersized and not allowing the pin to hit the cap completely. The only other thing i would do is take apart the bolt, clean it and look for burrs that could be holding back the firing pin. Just unscrew the nipple a little at a time and once it goes off with 1 cap, theres your problem.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:35 PM

Take the mainspring out of the bolt. Measure the length of the spring and then stretch it by hand about one-quarter inch. My CVA Magnum Hunter had the same problem with 209 primers. Missed out on a couple of close pigs because of this. Took the spring out, stretched it, and then no problem.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:50 PM

frontier gander If backing out the nipple works do I leave it that way to shoot or does that lead me down a different path to repair.

As for the sprint and bolt I will be going through it shortly.

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-15-2006, 02:56 PM

if u back it out, do not shoot it. i dont think it would be safe like that with all that powder. Try doing like the other try said, and stretch the spring. If that doesnt work, do the nipple trick i said and if it works then, go buy a new nipple. Trying to solve problems with out being able to hold the thing in your hands and inspect it is hard to do. Just trying to give you some ideas and where to look for possible problems. Dont get stressed out about it, Its going to be a simple fix.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:05 PM
Spike

Could it possibly be #10 caps placed in a #11 tinby the factory?
Sounds like a possibility where the striker has to make a second run at it.
Whatbrand of caps, and how many tins did you buy?
Just a thought.

Quick Reply: couple questions about #11 caps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.