Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 New encore help please >

New encore help please

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New encore help please

Old 11-15-2006, 05:51 AM
Spike

Default New encore help please

OK, got my new encore yesterday. It was after dark, but i had to get her sighted in anyway because i get to hunt Friday morning. I am shooting 110 grains of T7 and the 250 grain shockwaves. The farthest I could see with my truck headlights was 60 yards to sight it in. It was shooting about 1 inch high there and I put 3 shots that touched. Where would it shoot at 100 yards like this? Also is this a good load for the gun? I was taking the breech plu out after every second shot and running a clean boresnake thru it a few times. With a SS barrel, do i still need to oil the inside of the barrel?
Old 11-15-2006, 07:46 AM

Default RE: New encore help please

Congrats on the Encore.
You will love it.
Unless you actually shoot it, you won't really know what it is doing at 100 yds and further. I would say, though, that you would be fine to hunt with it out to 100 yards. But, I wouldn't shoot much further.
I think your load is about perfect for the gun. I shot 110 grains of 777 for two years with a 250 grain shockwave and have only recently bumped it up to 125. I may go back down to 110 after some more long range testing. At 110 grains, if you sight in at 3 inches high at 100 yards you should be 2 to 3 inches low at 150 and probably around 8 low for 200 yards.

As far as taking the breach plug out between any shots, don't waste your time. Just use a couple of spit patches and a couple of dry patches between shots and then after every shooting session, take the plug out and clean the plug and barrel very well.

I do not put bunches of gunk in my barrel when stored, just a light coat of ballistol or similar lube will work fine. Then, before loading to hunt, I fire two primers to get the oil out and then use a couple of dry patches to get that fouling out. Then load and go.

The biggest thing is to be consistant. There are many people here that have tried and true techniques with m/l and Encores, all work well. But, the biggest thing thay have going for them is consistancy. Pick and choose what folks here suggest and then become very methodical in your process and you will have great success. If you decide to change what you are doing, change one variable at a time and move forward.

Good luck
Hank
Old 11-15-2006, 08:26 AM
Spike

what does everyone use to run the spit patches thru....just a jag screwed in the end of the ramrod???? and standard patches?

I was shocked at how clean the boresnake got the barrel. I did notice what appeared to be melted plastic in the chamber area, but the boresnake removed 95 % of it.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:53 AM

Yes,
Just use the brass jag that comes in the pack w/ the gun. You can either buy patches or go to the cloth department at wally world and find some fabric on sale for 1 buck a yard. Find some good 100% cotton fabric and buy a couple of yards. Cut it into squares and for 2 bucks you have all the patches you will need for awhile.

The junk you saw in the breach area would be removed by the jag/patch/spit combo.
Some folks use diluted windex or something similar. That works just as good as spit. But I find it easier to carry around spit than windex

Hank
Old 11-15-2006, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

You might check with the guys that use 777 all the time for which breach plug grease works best with it I understand from some other posts that it can be a problem. Lee
Old 11-16-2006, 10:55 AM

Just some advice from my encore (I shoot 150 grains though). If I shoot 3 inches high a 50 yards, I am punching holes 4-4.5 high at 100. I start leveling off to zero at about 130-140 yards. I try not to zero in at 100 yards because my rifle tends to shoot really low (4-5 inches)at close range (25yard andcloser). The additional height at 10 yards does not hurt me but allows me to basically hold dead on at close range without undershooting my dear.

Another tip, NO PETROLUEM PRODUCTS IN YOUR BARREL, EVER!!

Lube up with bore butter or something similar. Let me ask you this, what do you get when you add heat to oil?? Tar. Which is aroyal female dog to clean. Modern day gun oil is a bane to modern day MLs in my opinion.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:27 PM
Spike

You are going to love that Encore. Sights should be somewhat closeusing 100grof Pyrodex and 250gr shockwaves.TC tests them with that combo from what their CSDpeople toldme. I mounted a scope on minefirst thing so I never used the iron sights.

As forbreech plug grease,TCmakes a very good grease but so are manyof the other brand nameproducts. I use CVA's grease only because I got a big tube on saleand it works just fine. Be sure tocoat the threads real good and you won't have any problems.

I do put a light coat of oil in my barrel to store it but I always swab it out real good before use with some TC #13 pre-saturated patches. Never had any taror rustyet. By the way, I have the blued barrel but I would still scrub it real good if it was SS.

The Encore is a breeze to clean. Take the barrel off and stick one end or the otherin a small bucket of hot soapy water. Use the jag and ram that comes with it along withsome patches to suck and slush that water up and down the barrel. Kinda like priming an old pump. Dry it real good and use whatever protectant you prefer.

FYI......I use 100gr777 (two 50gr pellets) and 295gr PowerBelts. Had my Encore two seasons andtwo deer to go with it!.Love it and my buddy is jealous! :&gt
Old 11-17-2006, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

You should clean the firing pin assembly at the end of the season or after any significant amount of shooting. Failure to do so will lead to problems down the trail.