Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Your Hunting Shack >

Your Hunting Shack

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Your Hunting Shack

Old 11-06-2006, 11:22 AM
Typical Buck

Default Your Hunting Shack

Hey it's almost rifle season here in MO and I'll be out with my smokepole on Nov 11. Just curious as to what all of you hunt out of or go to relax with the fellas. Here is the trailer we go to every season. I think its a an early 1970s model. We have a heater inside that gets real warm at night. You then can hear the field mice at night scampering around inside at night but they never bother you. There is no electric so we use propane and have ourselves one helluva time. My dad and uncle hunt there also and many deer have been shot out the window of this shack. Its a place to warm up and slepp and eat in between hunting time on the stand. Can't wait for saturday. Good luck to all if your season has started already and good luck to those who have to wait.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Your Hunting Shack

Since I live in the woods I hunt right out of the house... We use to have a cabin up in the woods on my friends property. It was allmade out of logs and really nice inside. Then one evening a mysterious fire started and burned it to the ground. Hard to say what or who started it, but we never built a new one. The reason the fire was a mystery was there was not water or power to the place. I did hear there were some hard feelings between some relatives that felt it was theirs and theirs to do what they liked with....
Old 11-06-2006, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

I use an Army lined tent for temps to minus 40 C and/or F. With the liner and a propane stove it stays pretty toasty and sometimes my Woods 3 star is a little warm.

In the early season I will sleep out of a 2 man tent or I will build a lean to.

I moved last winter to Edson, Ab and now that I live in the bush I have to find some good hunting grounds without ATV access (even though I have an ATV).

Old 11-06-2006, 03:17 PM
Fork Horn

To keep the mice out use Bouncy sheets and lay them around. Mice don't like this stuff.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:46 PM
Spike

My brother, nephew and I are in the process of buying some property with a little camp on it. Executed three porkies yesterday. They have chewed holes in the woodshed that you wouldn't believe. Nice 40 bordered by a lot of fairly inaccessible public land with no hunting pressure. Camp dates back to 1930 and is small but cozy. Can't wait until the 15th gets here.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have had this property for a while now. Used to use a 22' travel trailer that never left the place, but Got tired of the Coleman furnace and other things acting up.Built this cabin in 2001. It is 24'x24' with a loft. Hunting partners,mother sold her home and didn't need furnture so we got a bunch of that to use. Also got a wood furnace from his daughter so we have lots of heat in there. No electric, they want $8,000 to run it to our place. We pump water with a pitcher pump from a well I drove.

At first I thought you ment my hunting shack.Two of 4.

Al
Old 11-06-2006, 10:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Either this.

Or this.

Old 11-07-2006, 09:29 AM
Fork Horn

Here is our home away from home. The campers get pulled out and we camp in the old green camper. Plenty of firewood and great fire ring. We added an outhouse this year. All the amenities of home.

Sitting on 120 acres and down in a valley. I love it out here.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last two years ... Mio Hotel in upper-lower MIfor $60each nightfor three nights. Hunting public lands all around Mio. Then off to my trailer in North Branchfor a couple of nights - huntingpublic lands 40 miles away in Deckerville MI.

Been going solo for two years now - lost my 10-year hunting partner in 2004. Getting in my 50's now - thinking about giving it up after this season. Constant worries from my wife about being in the vast Huron National Forest alone with a single-shot ML & backup pistola. I'm tired of hearing her whine every November 14th (firearms season) - then the 2nd week of December for ML season.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

See ya did not use care when picking a wife.
I'm soon to be 60 and this is going to be my third year hunting alone 6.5 hours from home alone. I don't even need to call inany so many days.[]If I fail to return home by Dec. 10 the dogs are called out to find the [:'(] remains. [&:]Easy to replace, lots of old geezers looking for a young chick.

Al

Quick Reply: Your Hunting Shack

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.