Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Shot my new Encore Today >

Shot my new Encore Today

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shot my new Encore Today

Old 11-02-2006, 10:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shot my new Encore Today

And it shot GREAT! I was using triple 7 pellets (100grains) and 240gr XTPs. First shot hit about a foot high, so I did a lil tweakin on the sight, and fired another shot and it was dead on in the 10 ring. I swabbed with a wet patch then a dry between each shot. End up putting 2 shots at 50 yards within 1" of each other (first was dead center, second was 1" high and dead center). I called it good for the day, as I had to get to the treestand to archery hunt.

My question is. Using 240gr XTPs and 100gr of powder, what kind of range can I expect out of this? I'd like to be able to shoot a deer to 150 yards. How high should I zero at 100?

I also have a box of 200gr Shockwaves that I have not fired yet. I will try them tomorrow if the wind isn't blowing 100mph like it has been.

Also the gun loads kinda hard, even with the swabbing between shots. I would definately like to try out some different sabots. Are the Harvesters the ones to go with?

Here is some eye candy.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shot my new Encore Today

I can't be exact but if your muzzle velocity is around 2000 fps and you sight in about 1.5" high at 100, you should be around 2.5" low at 150. If it's a little slower, say 1800fps, sight in 2" high at 100 and your still around 2.5" low at 150. No matter what your MV or sight in is, you should go to the range and see what it does out to the distance you consider max that you would shoot so you can see what the load and youcan do.

Have a safe and enjoyablehunt and let us know how it goes.

P.S. nice looking gun you have there.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

That gun should be loading relatively hard. If it's not you're not getting a good gas seal, and are therefore losing accuracy. I've got an encore too. Here are some things I've found. I'm shooting 150 grns 777 and a 250grn shockwave. I've smoked 3 deer at over 180 yds. Shot the magnum load for greater distance. The thing about shooting the magnum load is that it doesn't like all types of bullets. You have to be picky and find the bullett that will fly the best. I've found Barnes and Shockwaves shoot the best. If you really want to be shooting flat out to 150 or 200 yds shoot that 200 grn shockwave with 150 grns of 777.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

one other thing i forgot to mention. You need to season that bore, much like a cast iron skillet. Get some T/C Bore Butter and lube up that barrell so you can get 'er seasoned. I'd do it soon if you can. Good luck and good shooting!
Old 11-03-2006, 07:43 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bowtech die hard

one other thing i forgot to mention. You need to season that bore, much like a cast iron skillet. Get some T/C Bore Butter and lube up that barrell so you can get 'er seasoned. I'd do it soon if you can. Good luck and good shooting!
While many people suggest the seasoning of a barrel. Your barrel is stainless steel and might be a little hard to season with bore butter. IMO.. I would not suggest you do this. Your rifle is a modern rifle designed with some excellent materials. Now I will season my Grandmothers cast iron fry pan, but not my rifle barrels. I want that barrel nice and clean. A much better place for the bore butter is on a patch shooting a patched ball, or smeared on a conical bullet when you shoot that. Trash cans are also another good option. Again this is my opinion of the stuff. Other people use bore butter all the time with excellent results and by no means do I try and insinuate their way is inferior to mine. I clean my barrel spotless and then apply a good gun oil which I know will protect it from rust.

Two pellets and a 240 grain XTP will give you 1805 fps. This should be a lethal load to 150 yards if you can place it in the right spot. With the kind of accuracy you are getting, I think you are going to be able to do that.

If when you're loading it is one of these, lean on the ramrod and grunt to get that sabot down the bore, you might want to try Harvester Crushed Rib sabots, or the HP-24 MMP. I like the Harvester, they seem to work real good.

By the way, that is a beautiful looking rifle. I am sure that is going to be a great shooter for you....
Old 11-03-2006, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys for the info. THe local gunshop i bought the Encore from also kinda suggested to stay away from bore butter.....Don't know what I will do for sure yet. I might just buy a small tube of it to try an see if I like the results.

When I load it is a lean on that ramrod and give a few grunts and it goes. In the video that came with my gun it said a T handle was supposed to come with my gun, which did not. SO Iwould like to buy a ramrod with a T-handle for use at the range, what do you guys reccomend there?
Old 11-03-2006, 09:00 AM
Dominant Buck

If the rifle was supposed to come with a T handle and did not, contact Thompson Center Arms and advise them of that fact. I think you might be able to get one from them. Call them on the phone as they have no email responce lastI knew.

Other wise get a T/C Rugged Rod and use that as your range rod and cleaning rod. Also make sure you get an extra long one. They really make cleaning nice. I use a 32 inch range rod. It fits all my rifles that way.

Also with the kind of loading your having, check the bullets you shoot to make sure of the diameter. .430 are green sabots, .452 are the black sabots, and pick yourself up a pack of the Harvester Crushed Rib sabots. It will really make a difference in the loading.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Rammer

Personally i really do like the MMP-HPH-24's. I use a ton of them in my Omega and Remingtons. If they are still hard to load them MMP makes another sabot called a 3p EZ load that is slightly thinner.

I am not a fan of Harvester "crush ribs" but a regular harvester should work just fine.

Old 11-03-2006, 10:01 AM

I've got a TC Omega and I shoot a 150 grains of powerdex pellets and 245 grain Powerbelt sadot. I can reach outto 200 with that load. I shot 1 of my bucks close to 200 yards.I've killed a 10 and a 13 point buck with that load and I don't see the need to change when it's working. But when the deer get within 50 to 60 yards it's going to shoot high.

Old 11-03-2006, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowtech die hard

This works for so few that use sabot/bullets.

Actually a bad idea all-together. Keep your bore dry & use a good gun oil for storage purposes. This eliminates the chance you'll make a "seasoning' mistake & find your bore rusted a few weeks or months after applying the butter.

Quick Reply: Shot my new Encore Today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.