Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Shot my new Encore Today >

Shot my new Encore Today

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shot my new Encore Today

Old 11-04-2006, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Forget the bore butter

Well, I did some more shooting with the gun today. I shot a 3 shot group at 100 yards that was just a touch over 2". I didn't think that was too bad of a group for my first one at 100 yards with the open sights. I have my sights bottomed out and the bullet is hitting exactly 4" high at 100 yards. I might have to go to the heavier bullet or do something different.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shot my new Encore Today

Call T/C by phone -explain you have the rear sight down all the way& still hitting 4" high. They will likely send you a shorter front sight - absolutely free.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks triple se7en for the advice. Thats why I love this place. I'll give thema holler Monday morning and see what happens!
Old 11-04-2006, 11:27 PM

IF I READ CORRECTLY, YOUR STATE DOEN'T ALLOW SCOPES.. AN OPTION TO CONCIDER MIGHT BE PEEP. EABCO MAKES A PEEP THAT IS INTIGRATED INTO A WEAVER STYLE BASE. THIS WOULD ALLOW YOU SCOPE UP FOR LOAD DEVELOPMENT AND WITH QUICK DETATCHABLE RINGS USE THE PEEP FOR HUNTING. I'VE FOUND THE PEEP TO BE VERY EFFECTIVE IN MY ATTEMPTS AT PRECISE SHOOTING. JUST AN IDEA.. GOOD LUCK
Old 11-05-2006, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, one of my buddies came up to my place today and we did some shooting with our smokepoles, centerfires, rimfires, pistols, etc.

He has some 300gr SSTs that he didn't like, so I went to stuff one down my barrel and ran into a problem. First, I threw 3 pellets down the bore, then when I got the 300gr SST about 5" down my barrel my jag broke off in my rod (it was going HARD to say the least). So now I have to EZ out the broken piece of my jag out of ramrod [:@]. I used his range rod and got the bullet in, and it proved to kick a little more than what I've been running through it.

Thinks Thompson Center will send me a new Jag? I already know I can't get one locally, so I have to get one ordered up ASAP before this weekend.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:12 PM

I'm sorry to hear the you broke your jag and that your Encore is so hard to load. Fortunately, I don't have that problem with mine. I use the Shockwaves and they are little tight but I don't have to lean on the ramrod to get them down. I use a really cheap, plastic bullet starter that has a hole on one side of the ball for the ramrod to fit in. It helps with pushing the ramrod.

I use one of the bullet starters made for aero tipped bullets. It doesn't deform them which will cause accuracy problems.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Encore loads 240gr XTPS and 200gr Shockwaves effortlessly after I fired the gun 15 times or so. That 300gr SST was a sun of a gun tho. I ordered up a few different jags for the encore and another ramrod for range use. Should cure the problem. Also got some Harvester sabots coming from Cabelas.