Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Ramrod

Old 11-02-2006, 09:06 AM

Default Ramrod

My ramrod for my GPR broke last time I went out. I didn't have the money to buy a new wood one, so I went to a hardware store, bought a 3/8" steel rod and tapped both ends. Is there a reason I shouldn't use this? (Damage barrel, etc.)
Old 11-02-2006, 09:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Ramrod

Does the jag you put on the end cover all edges? They do make solid stainless steel rods, I believe my White Rifle's rod is stainless steel. The fact there are no sharp edges is important, also the use of a bore guide might be something you want to consider. It will help keep the rod center in the barrel of the rifle.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:52 AM

I took the brass loading jag off a cheap 'rod I bought and intend to keep it on there permenantly.

*Edit- yes, the brass jag is wider than the 'rod*
Old 11-02-2006, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

White uses either solid aluminum rods or Delrin rods. Stainless steel will damage your bore, especially the crown. Always use a bore guide to prevent metal to metal contact (rod metal/barrel metal). You can also make your own bore guide using spent brass or ??... but you need one. I have one stainless rod made for me by a friend - he also included a nice nylon bore guide. Makes one heck of a loading/range rod but there is no way I would recommend one for a hunting-use rod. The Delrin rods are light, strong, durable, and QUIET in the thimbles. You would also have to work at it to get crown damage from Delrin.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

It is real easy to damage the crown and in case you are not aware of it accuracy is gone when you have a damaged croen you have to have the barrel cut off and recrowned.
As a tempory measure you might put shrink tube over your steel one to protect the barrel.Lee
Old 11-02-2006, 11:46 AM
Dominant Buck

I stand corrected then... My Ultra Mag was advertised with a Delrin rod, so I guess it is aluminum and not stainless steel. Underclocked would know, he's the one that talked me into this rifle. So perhaps a steel rod might not be a good idea. The bore guide is a good idea, no matter what kind of rod you use. I have one friend that broke his ramrod in his Kentucky. He decided he would use dowel from the Lumber Yard. I warned him to check that dowel for flaws, and he later had that dowel break and shoved into his hand. So be careful if you go that right.

Cains have a super rod they sell. While it is not PC, they look like a good strong rod. I just ordered one for an old rifle I have around here, so I can tell you in a couple days what I think of it.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

You aint kiddin' me Dave... you aint standin up!

You will like that Cains rod.