Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Harvester crush rib or MMP HPH-24's >

Harvester crush rib or MMP HPH-24's

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Harvester crush rib or MMP HPH-24's

Old 10-18-2006, 07:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default Harvester crush rib or MMP HPH-24's

I have a Winchester Apex 209 inline muzzleloader and I am less thanimpressed with the groups I'm getting with CVA Powerbelts. I am usingtwo 777 pellets and Winchester 209 primers. I have heard good reports by some of the people posting on here that are using MMP HPH-24 Sabots as well as others using the Harvester Crush Rib. My question is what type of bullets do I need to be using with these sabots? I want something that's not a bear to load after one or two shots. Any advice and recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-18-2006, 07:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Harvester crush rib or MMP HPH-24's

Recommendation of a bullet is a very hard thing to do because these muzzleloaders tend to have personalities of their own. What one might like, an identical might not group worth a darn. When people are looking for a projectile, or I am trying to work up a new rifle, I always start with known performers. I like to get some 240 grain T/C Mag Express XTP's and some 300 grain Hornady XTP's. I also like to get some 250 & 300 grain Shockwaves. Then its a matter of starting with about 85 grains of a quality performing powder like Triple Se7en, Pyrodex, or Goex and working up the load to see how they behave. Out of those four projectiles, I can usually find one that will produce some very impressive groups. Also all of them make an excellent hunting projectile...

Good luck with your rifle.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

PM sent your way!
Old 10-18-2006, 08:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

There are many things that enter into the answer to your questions.If you can measure your bore dia. it is easier to find answers. my Omega has a bore of .500 crush ribs are to loose and won't group the HPH24 fit nice snug but fairly easy and shoots good,to load the HPH 12 is to tight shoots ok but a battle to load the SW is a bit tighter than the 24 but not real bad to load and shoots good,also try both the 451 and 452 to see what fits best in the best fitting sabot and remember to loose wont shoot good, I would start out with black FF or Pyrodex RS loose powder as they are stable in more guns than any of the newer powders, then after finding a sabot and bullet combo that fit well try different bullet weights and styles when you have a bullet and sabot that you have confidence in; try other powders to see what your gun prefers. Also there are some people who believe in certain products or are paid to push them keep your mind open and do your own thinking. Lee
Old 10-18-2006, 09:21 PM

Not sure what your bore is, but my Knight Bighorn likes the MMP 3 petal EZ load. It is looser than the harvester. I shoot okay groups with the harvester, but the 3 petal is a great shooter.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

dbblung

Gotta tell ya, I do prefer the MMP over the "Crush Rib" - seems for me that I get better accuracy and velocity. That does not mean there is not a place for the "crush rib" - I have them in my gear box and there are a lot of people using them. But right now the MMP 50/3p (the thinnest) the HPH-24 (2nd thinnest) and the HPH-12's are my choices. I do use the 3p in my follow up quick loader if i really a quick second shot in the Omega.

The HPH-12's are for the white. To thick for any of my other guns.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:02 PM

In my T/C guns (Black Diamonds and Omega), the regular Harvester sabot has worked very well - along with the HPH-24. Crush Rib not as good - particularly with magnum loads.