Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Great day at the range!  I'm real happy! >

Great day at the range! I'm real happy!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Great day at the range! I'm real happy!

Old 10-07-2006, 01:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default Great day at the range! I'm real happy!

I was wanting to workup a heavier load for this season so, not too long ago, I picked up a box of Great Plains 410 gr. conicals to play with. I got to the range this morning and started at 50 yards to get things zero'd, then moved it back to 100 yards to fine tune things. After tweaking powder charges a little bit, I believe I found the sweet spot. I'm shooting a CVA Optima with a 26" barrel. The load is a 410 gr. Great Plains conical on top of 90 gr. of Triple Seven and the new Triple Seven primers by Winchester. I like shooting 2 shot groups with the muzzleloader. This gives me a good idea of the first shot and how a follow-up shot will impact. At 100 yards, I'm getting 2 shot groups of 1.5 inches. My best two shot group today was 1.25 inches. Surprisingly, recoil isn't bad either.

After final adjustment on thescope, I ended up with this:

Yep, I'm happy
Also, I can highly recommend the new Triple Seven primers. I shot 18 rounds a the range today with absoulutely zero crud ring. I even did one 5 shot string and the fifth bullet was just as easy to get down the barrel as the first. When I swabbed the barrel out, there was just a little bit of fouliing. A far cry from what I experienced last year with the Remington Klean Bore primers.
Old 10-07-2006, 03:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Great day at the range! I'm real happy!

Nice shooting...

Also, I can highly recommend the new Triple Seven primers. I shot 18 rounds a the range today with absoulutely zero crud ring. I even did one 5 shot string and the fifth bullet was just as easy to get down the barrel as the first. When I swabbed the barrel out, there was just a little bit of fouliing. A far cry from what I experienced last year with the Remington Klean Bore primers. [align=right][/align]
I had the exact same experience w/ the 777 primers and 120gr of 777 2f... I shot one 5 shot string.. and had no issues seating the bullet. I couldn't go more than 2-3 shots last year w/ the Remington Kleanbores.. then I'd have to bust the crud ring. No crud ring at all w/ the 777 primers.. not even after 5 shots. They actually loaded easier than on a freshly cleaned barrel. And this was using the black saboted 250 gr Shockwave bullets.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:52 PM
Dominant Buck

nice load and nice shooting... I will have to keep my eyes open for the Winchester T-7 primers. Although I really like the Remington Kleenbore primers. Of course I shoot Goex most the time soa crud ring is not an issue..
Old 10-08-2006, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

thats real nice man. that looks like a nice load i might need to try.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:21 AM

I have used the Hornady GP 410 gr. bullet extensively and have also been very happy with its performance - not only on the range, but also on large game. It seems to group well with 80 to 100 grains of 2F T7. I also have used 120 grs. of T7 in recent years; but this load requires the use of a MMP Ballistic Bridge sub-base. Recoil is fairly stout, but it has a serious thump on the receiving end.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice going Chris!

Experimentation is what this sport's all about. What you accomplished is not only self-gratifying. reports like this opens the door for shooters who want the least experimentation & the fastest avenue to hunting success.

I prefer the experimental steps at the range. For instance, I have probably developed 10-12 different powder & bullet loads for my Omega at 100+ yards.

It's just fun to do.

[size=2]
Thompson Center Arms -- Triple Se7en Powder -- Buffalo Bullet Co.