Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Another rifle kit question >

Another rifle kit question

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Another rifle kit question

Old 01-13-2002, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Another rifle kit question

I've been working on my Lyman flintlock for a few weeks now, and finally got the barrel and lock to fit correctly. I had no idea how much work a kit gun would be The steel on the barrel now needs to be polished. The barrel has a bunch of words stamped on the top of the barrel in big bold letters that tell of the name of the gun and manufacturer. I think these are incredibly ugly and intrusive. The serial number is stamped in smaller numbers among these. In finishing the barrel, I want to remove all of these stampings but wonder if it is illegal to obliterate the serial number. Can I remove these stampings along with the serial number and engrave the serial number back on the barrel? Are muzzleloaders required to have serial numbers?
Old 01-14-2002, 06:05 AM

Default RE: Another rifle kit question

Having done one kit gun, I know what you mean about the unexpected amount of work. I dont know about the legality of the serial number being removed, maybe a quick call to your local DEC would be a wise move. I just wonder about any possible problems with warranty work from Lyman, should you find you have a problem with the barrel when you start shooting?
By the way, walk away from the kit sometimes if you find your self hurrying it to get it done. They seem like they take forever to finish, but any short cuts or hurried work you do now, will show up every day you pick the gun up in the years to come. Keep pluggin'!
Old 01-14-2002, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never thought about the waranty aspect. Maybe I'll just leave that area of the barrel alone.

Old 01-14-2002, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never thought about the waranty aspect. Maybe I'll just leave that area of the barrel alone.