Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Anyone shooting APP in their Flintlocks? >

Anyone shooting APP in their Flintlocks?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Anyone shooting APP in their Flintlocks?

Old 09-17-2006, 07:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Anyone shooting APP in their Flintlocks?

I just ordered some 3/4X3/4 black english flints for my LTR and the price at Track of the Wolf is actually less than what Cains is showing now. Not sure about shipping costs. I ordered some other stuff from TOTW at the same time. I have some Lyman agate and some T/C agate flints but had to order the English Flints based on the talk and experience of the others (Cayugad especially). So far I have to yet make a spark with the LTR. It has been way too hot to enjoy shooting in Arizona. We finally just dropped below 100 degrees on a fairly regular basis. I did get drawn for antlerless Elk this year but will probably use either the Omega or the Huntsman as I really need the meat. Would be neat to do it with a flintlock but am not confident enough for that at this time especially considering how hard it is to get drawn to hunt any big game in Arizona.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Windwalker7

I tried some APP FFFG and it seemed to shoot pretty good. I did have a few shots where the pan went off but not the barrel. Was this because of the large size grains?

I ran out of the FFFG and bought some FFg for my Omega. The Omega likes the FFG much better.

Do you gurus think the bigger grained FFG powder will have trouble igniting in the Flintlock?

I guess I could go try it but I'm not sure if the problem I had before with the FFFG not going off when the pan went off was because of the large grains.

By the way, I was using regular black powder, FFFFG in the pan.
I haven't tried APP yet in a flintlock. The gentleman who operates the Fort Chambrs ML Shop in Chambersburg, PA told me that he tried it. He said hisfirst six shots fired perfectly, just like black powder, then he started to have ignition problems. I believe, if I try it at all, I will put 10 grains of FFFFg from my priming horn in first, then the APP charge on top. That's what I have done when usingPyrodex in a flintlock, and it fired perfectly. That 10-grain charge of black does not foul the barrel significantly when the main charge is 90 grains of a clean substitute powder, and it only takes about 2 seconds to put it in first from your pan priming horn.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:06 AM

Only BP for me. The reason is because the BP SUBS have a higher flash temp than bp. ?It takes more temp to set off the subs. you will get better and faster ignition with real bp.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:40 PM

I use the real stuff. #1 reason, its gives the best results and #2. Its cheaper! I get it for $15 a pound. I only use it in my flintlock, My inline i used pyrodex RS. and just so you know, Pyrodex in a flintlock gives you about a 3 second delay lol. You can listen to the powder fizz and then the boom.