Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How is this....

Old 09-16-2006, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How is this....

I just bought the hogdon triple se7en (FFG). And was wondering how does it stack up to the American Pioneer or other brands in shooting cababilities?
Old 09-16-2006, 08:03 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How is this....

Tripple Seven shoots great in some rifles. It makes a bad crud ring in some just above the powder column and restricts the ability of loading a second shot until the crud ring is removed. In some rifles a wet patch will remove it and in some it requires a brass brush and then several wet patches. You will just have to try it. It does have a little more energy in short barrels as the pressure rise rate is higher than the ascorbic acid based powders like APP, Goex Pinnacle, and Black Mag'3. In longer barrels I prefer Black Mag'3. My Omega hates Tripple Seven and performs great with Black Mag'3.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BOWHUNTER818

I just bought the hogdon triple se7en (FFG). And was wondering how does it stack up to the American Pioneer or other brands in shooting cababilities?
If all you are concerned about it's shooting capabilities-only, then 777 is more powerful & releases more energy than all other blackpowder subs - all the blackpowders in FF. In tests done by top-score blackpowder magazines and two book authors over the years, Swiss Blackpowder, Schuetzen Blackpowder and Pyrodex have shown to be a tad more accurate overall.

Old 09-16-2006, 10:01 AM

When I started looking for a load in my new muzzleloader this I bought a pound of pyrodex and 777 powder form, well in my gun 777 left a minor crud ring but nothing that effected the loading and the cleaning was a breeze 2 wet patches and the crud ring was gone and that was 9shots without swabbing(just testing). But when it came to the pyrodex after a few shots the barrel was dirty to the point where it was hard to load and I found cleaning to be way more of a chore than enjoyment. This was the case in my rifle every rifle is differnent(that's what I hear anyways). Both shoot good groups but like said above 777 is more powerful than pyrodex. I don't know a app yet we just got in here a month ago so when my pound of 777 is done I will try the app well JS Gold.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SaskBushMan

When I started looking for a load in my new muzzleloader this I bought a pound of pyrodex and 777 powder form, well in my gun 777 left a minor crud ring but nothing that effected the loading and the cleaning was a breeze 2 wet patches and the crud ring was gone and that was 9shots without swabbing(just testing). But when it came to the pyrodex after a few shots the barrel was dirty to the point where it was hard to load and I found cleaning to be way more of a chore than enjoyment. This was the case in my rifle every rifle is differnent(that's what I hear anyways). Both shoot good groups but like said above 777 is more powerful than pyrodex. I don't know a app yet we just got in here a month ago so when my pound of 777 is done I will try the app well JS Gold.
APP/Shockeys Gold/Goex Pinnacle... all out of the same womb.

For inline testing, buy the FF.
For sidelock testing, buy the FFF and say a prayer you get instantaneous ignition because both grain sizes are very large&most powderflasks will not pour that stuff out -- thus the lack of sufficient powder granules under your nipple sometimes.

MyOmega loved the APP. I can hear it in my gun safecrying for it every night. I won't feed it the APP anymore because I want (1) powder manufacturer and grain size for all my MLs from 45-58 caliber.

777 powder doesexactly that!
Old 09-16-2006, 01:46 PM
Typical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

APP/Shockeys Gold/Goex Pinnacle... all out of the same womb.

MyOmega loved the APP. I can hear it in my gun safecrying for it every night. I won't feed it the APP anymore because I want (1) powder manufacturer and grain size for all my MLs from 45-58 caliber.

777 powder doesexactly that!
How do you get the Omega to shoot 777 without the "Crud Ring from Hell"? Mine must be the worst one ever made by T/C as it just will not shoot 777 without a severe ring. Most Omegas seem to love the ascorbic acid based powders. Mine loves Black Mag'3. I wonder if it is the breechplug design or the actual barrel dimensions. I have tried all the normal fixes and now have some Tripple Seven primers to try. The 25ACP conversion was the best fix with only a mild ring although it does not allow a second shot without swabing the bore.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

No oils or lubes in the bore
FFF powder instead of FF
Winchester Triple Se7en primers
Forceful-compacted loose powder seating
Black nylon brush bore-swabbing with 91% alky/plain blue Windex 50-50 mix
Heavy bullets and sub-100 grain powder charges
Swab with wet patch every 2nd shot

That's what seems to be the best ticket tocombat the crud ring.
I sincerely believe that T/C Inc doesn't even know why you have a severe case of it. They are shopping for answers to this day -- even read & use some of the suggestions we post on boards like this one.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks taht is great! Because the matter of the fact is that im shooting a T/C.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

The good news is anything including plain water can be used to swab with Triple Se7en. At the range I use good old #13 T/C cleaner and it works fine. So does alchohol patches and Hoppie's. It's good stuff once you get use to it but it ain't real BP
Old 09-16-2006, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

For sidelock testing, buy the FFF and say a prayer you get instantaneous ignition because both grain sizes are very large&most powderflasks will not pour that stuff out -- thus the lack of sufficient powder granules under your nipple sometimes.
For better or worse, when I go hunting, Ialways unscrew the nipple after loading my powder/bullet and pour afew granules of powder into the cavity under the nipple. Never had a problem and never had a hang fire in the woods. Ok or not safe?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.