Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Where to go from here? >

Where to go from here?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Where to go from here?

Old 09-12-2006, 07:34 AM
Spike

Default Where to go from here?

I have a .50 TC Encore. So far I have used only Pyrodex pellets and 245 or 295 grain sabots (different brands) or Powerbelts. At 100 yds the bullets are generally hitting in the 8 in circle but anywhere in that circle. One may be 3 in. to the right and the next shoot may be 3 in. to the left and 4 in. low. It's very frustrating going to the range and getting the same unacceptable results time after time.

Is the next step to continue to try different projectiles or different propellant? I'm lost so any information would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Where to go from here?

If you are using bore butter/Wonderlube... etc... discontinue that use.

If you are using 50-grain pellets, buy some 30 grain so you can tweak powder charges at 80, 90, 110 & 120 grains. Never go beyond 120 iin pellets with Powerbelts. Generally, their skirts prefer 80-110 gr.

But it's best to use loose powder with Powerbelts because of their loose fit. You want to avoid a situation where loose fit exists with both powder & bullet. Since all ML bore diameters are different, you may now be facing a situation where both your Powerbelt and your pellets contain a bore wall gap.... creating excess blowby.

You also need to dismount every Powerbelt skirt you have from the bullet - put them back on the bullet -- twist & turn them a few times for a "loose" fit. This bullet cannot tolerate a one-thousands undersized skirt hole that slips on the bullet nub- because when that happens, the skirt rides along with the bullet too long -- creating poor shot groups and sometimes hour-glass impressions on paper targets.

As a measure of making sure those Powerbelt skirts are removing themselves properly, dab a Q-Tip in oil -- then lube around the Powerbelt bullet bottom nub before mounting the skirt. Also keep in mind that the Powerbelt was designed & developed for CVA/Winchester rifles - which use different bore measurements than T/C.

If I were you, I would stick to T/C bullets initially - until dialed-in.If the Encore has been only seeing Powerbelts si9nce new, you need to break-in that bore properly with a box or two of "full-fledged conicals like T/C Maxi-Balls, Hornady Great Plains conicalsor Buffalo Bullets.Those bullets remove tiny burrs in your bore. Then I would buy some T/C Mag-Sabot 240s and T/C Shockwave 250s to try ...... unless you hunt in Colorado where sabots are forbidden.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:30 PM

C120, I feel your pain. I am new to the smoke pole world and having the same troubles has you. I having larger than expectedgroups at 25 yards. You might want to ensure your scope is tighten down. Last night I checked mine, per someone's recommendation, and sure enough some of the screws were a little lose. Not sure if this will help since I don't have a range to go to, but could be your problem as well. Hope you get you smoke pole dialed in. Good Luck my friend!
Old 09-13-2006, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

Try loose 777 with 250 gr TC Shockwaves. I would use Shockwaves over Hornadity SSTs because they use a thinner sabot and usualy load easier in TC guns. Use from 100 to 120 grs of loose 777. If you prefere Pyrodex try the loose powder so you can go up 5 grs at a time until you find what your rifle likes ( you can use up to 150 grs. of loose Pyrodex but not more than 120 to 125 grs of loose 777. Most all Omegas and Encores like 250 Shockwaves.
If you decide to use 777 it would be a good idea to buy some Winchester 777- 209 primers. With these primers and 777 you will have a cleaner, and more powerful load. Most use 2F - 777 but I prefere 3F. Using 120 grs of 777 and a 250 gr Shockwave I get a5/8 inch group at 50 yds. and around 1 1/2 inch at 100 yds. That is with an Omega but Encore's have a sililar barrel. All guns are different but this should give you much better results than you have now.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:26 PM

All guns are different but the best load for my Encore is a Winchester 209 primer, (2) 50 grain pellets and (1) 30 grain pellet of Pyrodex under a T/C 200 grain Shockwave. Off the bench I get cloverleafs at 100 yards. With the 250 grain Shockwaves, I get about a 2-1/2" group.

I have never messed with loose powder so I have no recommendations with that. The guys on this forum will definately get you going in the right direction.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

C120.............PM sent