Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

muzzleloader

Old 08-16-2006, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default muzzleloader

I'm thinking about getting a muzzleloader what kind do you guys prefer?

Old 08-16-2006, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: muzzleloader

I myself use the old style muzzleloader. Its a Thompson Center Hawken. Its precussion and shoots very very good. A lot of hunters use the in-lines. I personally dont care for the in-lines, but that seems to be the trend anymore. I have a few buddys that went to the in-lines and they have had misfires. Not one time has mine ever misfired. I hunt with it in the rain, snow, or sleet. I guess its your own personal preference. Ive had my muzzleloader since 1990 and Im not changing. I would go and buy another Hawken if need be...
Old 08-16-2006, 08:28 AM

I, just like arrowmaster, use an old-style muzzleloader. I also use a T/C Hawkens. I use a .50 cal. It shoots great and I love the look, you put 1000 grains of powder in there, you'll be all set. Id deffinetly reccomend it

-Travis-
Old 08-16-2006, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check the muzzleloading section of this forum.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

50 Cal. Thompson Omega for me, wouldn't trade it for anything.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:55 AM
Fork Horn

I use a cva optima and love it. It shoots great.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:20 PM

I shoot a CVA, I don't remember what model. Its bolt action though. If you want to get into muzzle loading, check with your state laws and see what they are. Then decide if you want (if you can legally) go tradional style or get a inline muzzle loader. I got into it because it gives me more time to hunt. Not many people hunt the early muzzle loader season due to the hot weather. Big bucks are just out of velvet and still in summer patterns, in short they are easy to pattern.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:34 PM

ORIGINAL: CtHunter8

I, just like arrowmaster, use an old-style muzzleloader. I also use a T/C Hawkens. I use a .50 cal. It shoots great and I love the look, you put 1000 grains of powder in there, you'll be all set. Id deffinetly reccomend it

-Travis-
I strongly recommend against 1000 grains of powder. If you do, please have someone videotape.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:44 PM

dont listen to cthunter8. If i remember correct hes a 14 year old boy thats known for stirring things up. If you want to start off muzzleloading, Buy a cheap but good quality rifle Like a CVA. You can pick up a cva bobcat for $60-100. Its a nice shooting old style rifle that will help you build your skills on. You dont want to buy something expensive and then be like, oh jeez muzzleloading is to hard,screw this! CVA bobcat will do good if you want an old style muzzleloader. CVA also sells a cheap but good quality $110 inline at cabelas. Personally, I would buy the bobcat, Learn on that and then buy an upscale sidelock. Its always a good idea to buy an inline later on and take it whe you go out camping. After a few days of hunting and not being able to work into range with the side lock, pull out the inline and fill your tag with a longer distance shot lol. cva also sells refurbished rifles, i bought one and it was like brand new. Something you might want to check into. But yeah dont listen to that boy, 1000grains of blackpowder would kill you and anyone standing near you. If you get a bobcat rifle, no more than 100 grains of powder.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: saulthunter

I'm thinking about getting a muzzleloader what kind do you guys prefer?
The majority sold today are 50-cal inlines & the majority of those are either fall-actions or break-actions. Lagging just behind are plunger/bolt-actions - followed by percusion sidelocks.

First you need to tell us how much you're spending for the ML-only??

Quick Reply: muzzleloader

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.