Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Field Cleaning Kits >

Field Cleaning Kits

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Field Cleaning Kits

Old 08-13-2006, 08:27 AM

Default Field Cleaning Kits

To do my part in helping keep our planet and our hunting areas clean, I follow the same approach backpackers follow:
if I pack it in, I pack it out. For muzzleloading in particular…and this is definitely not “HC”…I carry "field cleaning kits"
in Ziploc bags.

Gives me the convenience of completely field cleaning a ML after a shot so I can continue hunting for hours and not
worry about a fouled rifle…and then let’s me easily carry the smelly mess out and not leave litter behind.

They consist of:
5 damp cleaning patches
5 dry patches
1 lubed patch
1 Alcohol wipe
1 Pipe cleaner
1 Q-tip
1 Muzzle mitt

Old 08-13-2006, 09:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Field Cleaning Kits

Roundball, I commend you on your environmental consciousness. I can not tell you how many times I have been walking my property or the federal forest, only to find where someone decided they needed to drink a beverage and throw the can down, or candy wrappers, cigarette pack, and even some rather interesting items like articles of clothingonce. The old rule applies, you carry it in, you carry it out.

Old 08-13-2006, 09:32 AM

You're right...and it's disgusting to see people do that when it's so simple to slip it in a pocket...you've probably done the same thing as me which is to pick up stuff like that and carry it out yourself.

I use a very large 3XL good quality hunting vest with tons of pockets as an 'equipment vest' for hunting...(the same purpose as abackpack but with the load better distributed and many pockets within easy reach)...I keep alarge 2 gallon zip loc folded in the game pocket with the raingear to put found cans/bottlesinand pack them right out.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:36 AM
Dominant Buck

I have an excellet blaze orange parka with enough pockets to carry half my house in. I bought the thing years ago and never saw another one like it that I like better. In the early season when blaze orange is not required I still wear my old army camoflauge field jacket. Although it is starting to show its age...

I also carry a fanny pack in the front and a day pack over my shoulder if I am heading out for a long time or into the forest..

Yes I have carried out a lot of TRASH from those that feel too important to haul it out themselves.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:05 PM

i doubt if i'll ever back pack with a mzl loader. i'll do somethin similar if i ever do. my range is usualy National Forest land. i gotta little bucket, patches, alcohol, dishsoap, break cleaner, babywipes, etc, and so on. i don't leave behindno evidence of my bein there when i leave.

early
Old 08-13-2006, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't understand "litter bugs" at all. We live sort of in the country, so our mail box is clustered with the neigbors mail boxes along the road.

Someone-who obviously lives in the area-seems to think this is the place to throw out their empty diet Pepsi cans.

It seems just about every day my wife picks up an empty can or two in this area. While she enjoys getting the deposit money, it is hard to imagine how some people can just not care like that.

~Robert

Old 08-13-2006, 02:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I let some seemingly nice people in to hunt cause there was getting to be to many deer,they threw beer cans and trash from their lunch all over the place,now I dont let nobody but my best friend hunt. Lee
Old 08-13-2006, 05:24 PM

I agree...and on that very note, shortly after I was given exclusive rights to hunt a small woodlot on a man's farm, he was mentioning that sombody had driven into one of the tractor lanes and thrown out a couple bags of trash...animals had torn them open and had the stuff scattered all over.
I told him I'd take care of it...I'd pick it all up, and if it was OK,I'd buy cables &padlocks to block entry to his farm land, give him the keys, etc.

He appreciated that somuch he said I could go ahead and keep the keys, and post the whole farm to hunt it...so I did all that...years ago...have filled most of my tags on his farm every year since, and just last year had the unbelievable luck to takea pair of 10 pointers with a Flintlock...so IMO, it definitely pays to gothe extra mile and take care of anybody's property like it was your own.