Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Checks in the mail >

Checks in the mail

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Checks in the mail

Old 08-09-2006, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Checks in the mail

I've been looking for months and finally found what I was looking for at a price I was willing to pay.

Several months ago, as some may remember, I had purchased a 50cal Lyman GPH online for a closeout price. I was going to buy a 54cal GPR barrel to go with it. When it arrived I realized I had ordered the left hand instead of the right hand version. It was my mistake but D&R gave me my money back anyway, thanks D&R. Unfortunately they were out of the closeout priced right hand models. So the search was on.

This past week I found an AuctionArms listing of a 54cal GPR and ended up the high bidder at $275 + shipping. I plan on getting a 50cal GPH barrel to give me the best of both worlds with this rifle. I already have a Lyman 57GPR peep sight that I picked up a few weeks ago for the rifle.

As I said, the check is in the mail (actually it's a money order)and I hope to take delivery within 2 weeks. I will order the extra barrel after I get the rifle in.

I can't wait to try it out, but I guess I'll have too.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Checks in the mail

congratulations on the new rifle. I am sure it will be all you expect. Lyman is great quality and good shooters..
Old 08-10-2006, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats David.

Are you aware that Green Mountain has a fast twist barrel for that Lyman?

Supposedly, there is a new one in 1-24" twist that ML author Toby Bridges talks highly about. It's called the Sharpshooter with it's long 32" barrel.

http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/Fieldtest9.html
Old 08-10-2006, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's a cool barrel and nice write up. I believe that barrel might fit into the Lyman Trade Rifle but not the Great Plains, the GP has 2 barrel wedges and the TR has one (like the TC Hawken).

I am going to get the Lyman GP Hunter barrel with the 1 in 32 twist in 50cal, not as fast a twist as the GM but should work well with a No Excuse bullet or others like it as well as sabot's.

Boy is it tough to wait on stuff like this, feels like Christmas eve.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I picked up a T/C Hawken at a gun show for a great price, and sold the barrel on Ebay. Bought a 50 caliber Green Mountain barrrel from Trackofthewolf.com. They have a good price. It's a really good shooter.