Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 I have a couple of simple questions. >

I have a couple of simple questions.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I have a couple of simple questions.

Old 08-09-2006, 05:44 PM

Default I have a couple of simple questions.

I'm just getting back into B/P. I've gotten some books, read articals, ect... and they all seem to crontadict each other about the need to lube a powerbelt bullet and how to lube it. I sure could use some help on this one.
Next, whats a good scope base for a CVABuckhorn?
Thanks,

Old 08-09-2006, 05:50 PM

Default RE: I have a couple of simple questions.

You dont have to lube a powerbelt. I know some people will either use crisco or bore butter and fill that little cup on the powerbelts. In all of the 5 years ive been using powerbelts, Ive never lubed them once. I see no reason to lube them. If they required lube, CVA would say so in the packet that comes with the powerbelts.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:54 PM
Fork Horn

You don't need to lube a powerbelt and you shouldn't. What you may be reading about lubing them is that some people take off the plastic skirt and put a little bit of lube on the post and put the skirt back on. Some people have had problems with the skirt not seperating from the bullet and the slight bit of lube on the post seems to help that. Not all people have a problem with the skirt.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Leupold 4X scope.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:57 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: LnWolf

I'm just getting back into B/P. I've gotten some books, read articals, ect... and they all seem to crontadict each other about the need to lube a powerbelt bullet and how to lube it. I sure could use some help on this one.
Next, whats a good scope base for a CVABuckhorn?
Thanks,

No need to lube a powerbelt. They have their own plastic sabot on the back of the conical. You might want to twist that plastic sabot back and fourth to make sure it is loose. I even put some lube on the spike on the conical and then put the plastic end back on.

As for a scope, get what you can afford. I personally see no reason to put a $400 dollar scope on a $129.00 rifle. I put a low end scope on my rifles and if they break, I get another while that one is being sent to warranty.

I like Sightron 1, Bushnell Dusk to Dawn, Millet Buck, but my favorite is a Nikon Pro Staff 2-7x32mm
Old 08-12-2006, 01:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

You dont have to lube a powerbelt. I know some people will either use crisco or bore butter and fill that little cup on the powerbelts. In all of the 5 years ive been using powerbelts, Ive never lubed them once. I see no reason to lube them. If they required lube, CVA would say so in the packet that comes with the powerbelts.
PowerBelts ARE lubed - they have a dry lube on them. You can't see it or feel it, but it's there. It is a mistake, usually detrimental to accuracy, to use any additional lube on a PowerBelt.........
Old 08-13-2006, 03:31 PM

I like the Leupold QR scope bases and rings.They return to zero when the scope is removed and replaced.This feature makes for easy cleaning and allows for the use of more than 1 scope.They are available from Cabela's.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:08 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the help. I'm going to finish setting it up this week and try it out.