Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 T/C 54 cal. Thunderhawk info >

T/C 54 cal. Thunderhawk info

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C 54 cal. Thunderhawk info

Old 08-04-2006, 11:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default T/C 54 cal. Thunderhawk info

I have a oppertunity to buy this for $115. Is this a good price. Is it easy to clean, etc.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:27 AM

Default RE: T/C 54 cal. Thunderhawk info

got the same rifle.. it is a good price if the rifle is new.. if used i'd try to knock some off that price. I love mine and since it is a T/C you can expect good customer service if ever needed.

The rifle is very reliable but not the easiest to clean.then againif you are not willing to spend time cleaning, muzzleloading might not be for you anyway it takes me about 20 minutes to strip the rifle and clean it.

1:38 twist !!! what do you plan to shoot with it .. heavy conicals or sabots ? And remember.. no "magnum" 150 grain charges in this one !
Old 08-04-2006, 11:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well I like mine, they have a 1-38 twist, I had the stainless one the longer barreled one is best; cleaning they are a long process compaired to an Omega [you have to take it apart to do it right[my opinion] ]it has an open action and will burn the bottom of a scope if you don't protect it. The 1-38 twist on mine likes PRB with a 90 gr FFF- 90gr P or a 90 gr APP FFF load it will shoot 2.5 inch groups @ 100yd with them which suprised me. It shoots REAL Bullets Maxie hunters maxie ball and sabots [200-240 gr bullet it dont do well with the 300gr] Properly cleaned and loaded they are a nice gun for the range and deer or boar for ELK or Moose or Griz you might want to consider a 1-28 twist and a heavy bullet all though I have taken an elk with mine,used a breakway sabot and 100gr RS with a 44cal lead Keith nose bullet it flattened out ok but it just puckered the skin on the far side No exit hole. Hope this helps Lee.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 270sniper

I have a oppertunity to buy this for $115. Is this a good price. Is it easy to clean, etc.
Since you didn't mention what shape it is in, I suspect it is fine inside & out. You also didn't mention scoping it -- so if you are, then use medium rings & keep the bottom of your scope oiled.A large majority ofbolt-actions get blowback from ignition. It goes with this style of gun.

I would jump at it -- if that's the action you want. The lifetime/no receipt-needed warranty is the main reason. I also like the in-between twist -- it should shoot a variety of sabots & conicals.

I wish T/C would return to keeping a 1-38"/48" twist inline in their product lineup. Better-yet..... I'm dying to see them bring in a 1-66" twist inline. That would be awesome.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:22 PM

Se7en – I concur with everything you’ve said about the 1:38 twist as I have a Firehawk with that twist. Although I own an straight-shooting Encore as well, during last year’s Big Game season, I didn’t carry the Encore once, instead opting to carry the Firehawk with a nice conical load. My friends kept “commenting” how I was carrying around a 10 year old gun…if you catch my drift.

As I’ve said many times here, I also wish that TC would bring back the 1:38 and 1:48 twists in their in-line models. Can’t understand why they don’t. Yeah I know, Fox Ridge offers a .50 cal 1:48 barrel for the Encore, but at $275…I think I’ll pass.[:@]

Man, if TC ever offered a 1:66 or 1:70 in .58cal (or .54cal) for the Encore…well that would be the best!!! I’d buy one in a New York minute. It just seems as though the ML newbies are mainly interested in high speed saboted loads. Not that there’s anything wrong with that load, mind you, but there’s something special about shooting PRBs and cutting the patch at the muzzle. Awesome.

My dilemma is that I like shooting PRBs, but I don’t care for the feel of the traditional ML, instead preferring the feel of the in-line. Maybe I subconsciously remember my wisdom teeth being shaken when I was 12 yrs old after touching off that .50 cal Renegade when it was loaded with 90gr of Goex and a PRB. I swear that that load has twice the kick of my .50 cal Encore that’s loaded with 110 and a 240gr saboted bullet.

Anyway, I hear you loud and clear about wishing that TC would introduce a “traditional modeled barrel” in the modern in-line frame. We can only dream…can’t we?

Let’s start a petition…