Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 great day shooting! >

great day shooting!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

great day shooting!

Old 07-28-2006, 07:25 PM

Default great day shooting!

Today my brother and i took out ML's out shooting this evening. We started off at 50 yards, he with his cva hawken and i with my traditions kentucky rifle. Our first shots, he hit about 2 inchs to the left of the bullseye and i hit dead center and 1 1/2" high of the bulls eye. We backed out the 75 yards and shot again, He hit again 2 inchs to the left of the bulls eye and i clipped the previous shot. We take 2 more shots and the guns are hitting right at the same spots and so we are happy with that and moved back out to 100 yards. I shoot first while my brother is loading and i hit dead center and 2" to the left at 100 yards. He shoots and clips the orange bulls eye circle. Next shot i take, Smacks it dead center, Next shot, 1 1/2" from the bulls eye, Next shot again is the same. After about 7 shots neither of our guns would hit jack squat, after we swabbed out our barrels we were both back in action! Its amazing how a dirty bore will throw your shots off so much. But the good thing is, i now know that kentucky flintlock of mine will shoot awesome out to 100 yards! I took the advice of another board member and used a pinch of pan powder and it seems to quicken the shots a bit. I also used our other 4 wheeler which has around an inch and a half gap between the gas tank and the seat, Made a perfect rest for our guns and held them rock steady. I even kept my charge at 110 grains and was shooting inch and a half groups at 100 yards. My brother was using 70 but is going to try 100 grains sunday. Tomorrow im going to my first rendezvous as a visitor and hopefully next year as a member. Depends on how this years hunting season goes. I need atleast 4 deer skins to make a pair of buck skin pants. That store bought stuff is to expensive!
Old 07-28-2006, 08:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: great day shooting!

well it sounds like good shooting to me, and a lot of fun...

As for the rendezvous, depending on how strict they are, if you want to dress somewhat in period. Get a pair of white cotton painter pants and remove the pockets and hammer holder. Then get a shirt there. Even a used one is all right. The usually sell on the blankets for $15.00 and leave it untucked to cover your belt loops. A simple solid colorlong cotton scarf will act as a belt around your waist. Belts actually were not as common as many people thing, as we holster for their weapons. Most items were tucked in the scarf. Then pick up a cheap black felt hat (makes good wads out of them if you don't like it) which are not all that expensive.

Some camp organizations are real strict some are "as long as you try to get in the spirit of things." I've been to both kinds and its amazing what some of them let you get away with. This would get you started. Later you can get the actual buckskins, or make them. Then the leather moccasins of course. Until then go barefoot if you can. Dyer makes great foot wear but they are real expensive. I bought a set of moccasins over 20 years ago made out of elk hide, and am still wearing them. They are my house slippers actually. They were $100.00 back then, but they are hand made to my feet, and I'm worth it..

Rendezvous are a lot of fun, you make life long friends, and can learn a lot of history if you keep your eyes and ears open. As well as a lot about the black powder sport. Have a great time, and Great shooting there. Keep making smoke.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a thought for you, I use floured blasting powder for pan powder it has no graphite in it and it is the finest grind made it is noticeably faster especaly if you resist the temtation to use to much. Lee
Old 07-29-2006, 12:56 AM

Shootinga flintlocknext to a gas tank!!!!
Old 07-29-2006, 12:01 PM
Fork Horn

Need to carry some shooting sticks on that rig.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:23 PM

well i went to the rendezvous today. It was pretty fun even tho i missed the shooting match and just walked around looking and talking to others.Friendliest person i met was .. belive it or not, some dude wearing a kilt lol. He had a nice .45 kentucky pistol there for $125 i almost picked up but had to walk away. To many BP pistols right now lol. And i was damn near tempted to pick up a cabelas hawken .50 flintlock in excellent shape for $175! I belive they cost close to $300 new. I didnt buy any clothing, Nothing there that suited my taste in what im looking for. I did pick up a wool/canvas lined gun sock for my kentucky and a tobacco twist. I'll smoke some tonight and see how i like it.Smells nice and sweet. And dang! out of all the people there i got lucky and spotted a hot chic! Thank god to, i was getting grossed out looking at old women in skirts. All in all, it was a great trip out there. Best thing about it, they wernt the snooty type where everything had to be 100% 1800's, This place allowed modern cook wear but most people kept the stuff in their tents or tipi's and out of sight. A lot of good stuff there for sale and trade. Saw a beautiful custom built 20 guage shot gun with an awesome tiger striped stock. And the thing i liked about it most was, Even the visitors were allowed to join the shoots.

And dont worry about the flintlock next to the gas tank deal, Its a good 12 inchs away and plus i always have that area covered over with my old jacket. No issues yet in the 5 years ive been shooting off the thing. I will be making some cross sticks and practice off those before hunting season.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:26 PM

Okay i got some pics. The shot that is to the left and is high, was my first shot and i used a little to less of prime powder and got a delay and i flinched. The other 2 shots by the bulls eye i cant complain about and the lowest 2 shots at the bottom were taken with only 80 grains VS 110. Im happy with the way its shooting so im putting it up on the wall for a month untill my shoulder doesnt hurt anymore. The way the butt end cups my shoulder is killer for me. Im thin and not much muscle on my arm area so its pretty much Brass VS skin and bone lol.

Would you guys feel comfortable withmy load and round ball for shooting mule deer at 100 yards? I hope i dont have to take that far of a shot but if i do, i just want to know if it would put it down with a lung shot.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander

Okay i got some pics. The shot that is to the left and is high, was my first shot and i used a little to less of prime powder and got a delay and i flinched. The other 2 shots by the bulls eye i cant complain about and the lowest 2 shots at the bottom were taken with only 80 grains VS 110. Im happy with the way its shooting so im putting it up on the wall for a month untill my shoulder doesnt hurt anymore. The way the butt end cups my shoulder is killer for me. Im thin and not much muscle on my arm area so its pretty much Brass VS skin and bone lol.

Would you guys feel comfortable withmy load and round ball for shooting mule deer at 100 yards? I hope i dont have to take that far of a shot but if i do, i just want to know if it would put it down with a lung shot.
FG,

Hey, great target. You didn't say if that was 100 yards, but if so, a good target and would most certainly kill a deer with the double lung. Were you at the Florence rendezvous?

Happy Hunting, Phil
Old 07-30-2006, 11:55 PM

Hi Phil, That target was set up at 100 yards. If it were a 50 a yard target all 3 shots would have been touching the bulls eye . The Rendezvous i went to saturday was off highway 9 between canyon city and hartsel. The turn off to the Rendezvous was maybe 2 miles from the town of hartsel. Had a great time there talking with a few people and looking at all the stuff for sale and trade. Best thing about it was i was looking at some knives and the owner goes, if you see something you like, we can work out a price. That was great of him but i couldnt spend any more $$ there. I reached my limit. Would have made a great fleshing knife. I MIGHT do some more shooting tomorrow depending on the wheather but im 100% satisfied with the way the rifle has been shooting. I actually did something ive never done b4. i swabbed out the barrel after every shot and it helped big time to cut the fowling down.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: frontier gander
The Rendezvous i went to saturday was off highway 9 between canyon city and hartsel. The turn off to the Rendezvous was maybe 2 miles from the town of hartsel.
That's a great location for a rendezvous. Lots of antelope in the high mountain grasslands there and most the ranches raise bison. Puts a guy into the period with a beautiful 360 degree panorama of mountains. We sure are lucky here in colorado. Sounds like you had a great time.

i swabbed out the barrel after every shot and it helped big time to cut the fowling down.
I do that too. You are on the right track there. I don't think you'll break any more wooden ramrods doing that between shots of your home made roundballs.

Happy Hunting, Phil