Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Triple 777 vs. Pyrodex >

Triple 777 vs. Pyrodex

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Triple 777 vs. Pyrodex

Old 07-27-2006, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Triple 777 vs. Pyrodex

no crud ring ! i know of three men who would disagey with you on that.and i my self have had a ram rod stuck from useing pyrodex
Old 07-27-2006, 03:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

As well as different people liking different things you will find that two seemingly identical guns wil shoot not only different loads of powder and different kinds of powder with different sabots but also different bullets. I try thing that I like first but am not comfortable with leaving it at that when I find a number of loads that will shoot better than my capabilities then I am happy. On the other hand if you don't make a hobby out of it and say hunt deer once a year with it most of the standard loads and bullets will satisfy your needs. Lee
Old 07-27-2006, 03:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Well I too find a "crud ring" with Pyrodex. What it amounts to is some nasty fowling. Unlike Triple Se7en it is not hard in nature. In fact with Pyrodex I would guess you get actually more fowling then with Triple Se7en, its just not noticed so bad until you clean the rifle.

As for the stuck cleaning patch, make sure you never run a clean drypatch down a dirty barrel. Use a damp patch of the "correct size" as one too large will be hard to work in the barrel and are more prone to sticking. Work the barrel in short strokes of approximately two inches, working your way down the barrel. Do not attempt to work the patch further until you can feel the area you are currently in, the patch moves smooth. If the patch does not, remove it and send down a second damp patch, again in short strokes. This is the best way I know of to keep from getting a stuck patch...
Old 07-27-2006, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

"There is no hard crud ring to deal with"

You guys missed a significant word. If you are getting stuck plugs with Pyrodex, you aremost likelydoing something grossly wrong or have poorly fit plugs. Yes, it's very corrosive and yes, it does leave residue but it isn't the cement-like residue that T7 leaves behind. Most every sort of sub involves some type of compromise. At $11.xx/pound, Pyro P might be worth consideration.

But it wouldn't be difficult to find more than two men that would disagree with me on most anything.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:27 PM

ORIGINAL: hunterdeneugene

My vote is for American Pioneer Powder. Cleanest shooting and it hasa natural lubricant in it so each follow up shot loads as easy as the one before. They claim thousands of shots without cleaning...I tried 12 with no loss of accuracy.

Will Stick Powder like American Pioneer crush when you load the round ball on top and ram it down?

Don Jackson Remington Magnum/Ultramag
Old 07-28-2006, 09:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

App shoots extremly well for me and I never crush it. Lee
Old 07-28-2006, 10:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cataway

no crud ring ! i know of three men who would disagey with you on that.and i my self have had a ram rod stuck from useing pyrodex
A little wetter patch & the use of a bore brush usually stops the Stickies...
Old 07-29-2006, 02:36 AM

Is there anyone on here from around Birmingham Al. If so do you know where I may locate FFg/FFFg regular Black Powder. Simmons don't carry it and can't get it anylonger.

Thanks Don Jackson Remington Magnum/Ultramag
Old 11-01-2018, 07:12 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by hunterdeneugene
My vote is for American Pioneer Powder. Cleanest shooting and it hasa natural lubricant in it so each follow up shot loads as easy as the one before. They claim thousands of shots without cleaning...I tried 12 with no loss of accuracy.
LOL. I love independent reviews of products.
Do a web search for "chuckhawks" and "american pioneer power"
Old 11-01-2018, 07:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

LOL i just have to laugh when someone bumps a 12yr old topic and the person they are responding to hasn't even been around for 8yrs.

Quick Reply: Triple 777 vs. Pyrodex

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.