Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

FFg to FFFg

Old 11-04-2002, 01:52 PM
BT
Typical Buck

Default FFg to FFFg

when you change from 2f to 3f do you reduce the load? if so how much? the 3 guns we have one is 120gr 2F one is 90gr 2f and one is 40 gr 2f. so how much do i need to reduce to? the powder is clean shot. where we have goten it last time had 2f but now they only have 3f. i want to get a new can before hunting seasion.
L. O. D. Charter member and L.O.S.
Old 11-04-2002, 02:43 PM
Spike

Default RE: FFg to FFFg

With regular BP, the old rule of thumb was reduce your best 2f load by 10%, and you were with striking distance of your best 3f load. if you hear th round crack like a rifle (and you will know the sound when you hear it), reduce the load till you don't hear the crack. Of course, the correct way is to work up from a low load, finding your most accurate load with the powder/projectile combo. I tend to find with convertional sidelocks and conicals, this tends to be (for me) about 5 grns below where the rifle starts to crack. I seem to get best accuracy from my 1:48's right about here. HOWEVER>>>the current thinking now is DO NOT use 3f in anything over .45 cal as it burns too fast, causing errosion of the lands and grooves by gas pressure.I beleive that clearshot generates a higher pressure than regular bp to start with anyway, with means you want to do 3f of that stuff even less. Check the manufacturer's website, but I me shure they will say 3f in a rifle is a no-no.

Old 11-04-2002, 09:22 PM
BT
Typical Buck

thanks ffor the info. the we site for clean and clear shot didnot say any thing about cal restrictions for 3 fff..
i puled up my hunter safty corce the bp we shot there was 3f in a 50.
the idea about not using 3f in biger than 45 where did it come from?

i think i will look around for 2 f and if i havt found it i will try 3f.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:44 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-05-2002, 12:55 AM
BT
Typical Buck

the 120gr load of 2f is in a mag. inline "max charge 150gr"
Old 11-05-2002, 06:34 AM

I go with Coondog!
I've been using 90grn of fffg in a T/C 50 cal Hawkin for
better than 25 yrs! That gun still fires every time and is flat out dead on at 100yrds! The max I believe is 100 of ffg so I figure
I'm just about the same! I feel I get better ignition w/o any
hang fires by using the finer stuff.

Old 11-05-2002, 08:45 AM
bigcountry

You know as a reloader, I know that this is territory that you can get hurt in quick. To be a safe resposible reloader, you try to not deviate from the manufacturers suggested Max loads and recommendations. But I know a guy that also insists on using FFFg. Why? Not knocking anyone, but am trying to understand what you have to gain using a faster powder. What I see is losing Velocity with a faster powder and maybe reaching dangerous levels of pressure. Could someone educate me on why you would want to deviate from the manufacturers safety recommendations.

Old 11-05-2002, 01:52 PM
BT
Typical Buck

from reading the book that came with mine 2f and 3f are sutibal for the 50. it just does not show the 3f in the load chart.

but thanks for the help.. my supplyer says he is ordering today the 2f should be in monday.
Old 11-05-2002, 04:18 PM
bigcountry

What muzzleloader do you use? The people I know use mainly knights and there manual says you shouldn't use it. So I guess its a different question.

Good luck. Maybe you can go to hodgedons web pag and they will tell you. http://www.hodgdon.com/

Old 11-05-2002, 05:25 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: FFg to FFFg

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.