Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Permatex On Sale...Great deal >

Permatex On Sale...Great deal

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Permatex On Sale...Great deal

Old 07-17-2006, 06:44 AM

Default Permatex On Sale...Great deal

On sale for only $0.88!! Been reading much about successfully using this as patch lube and wanted to pass on for those posters close to a "Valu Home Center."

http://www.valuhomecenter.com/thisweeksad.asp
Old 07-17-2006, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Permatex On Sale...Great deal

There are a few members here that use it. It was made more popular on a couple of other ML websites. What I like best about it is that it shoots the same POI after six months of seeing the remaining lubed patches dry-out in a Skoal can - inside of my Possibles Tackle Box.

I think that's remarkeable for a home remedy product.
I'm sold on this stuff.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:03 PM
BS

It was $.99 at AutoZone.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

There are a few members here that use it. It was made more popular on a couple of other ML websites. What I like best about it is that it shoots the same POI after six months of seeing the remaining lubed patches dry-out in a Skoal can - inside of my Possibles Tackle Box.

I think that's remarkeable for a home remedy product.
I'm sold on this stuff.
i assume you dont use anything in bore with this stuff?how hard is it to seat a rb with this and do you have to wipe your bore between shots etc?also does it freeze.i use .018 patch with .490 ball.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sproulman
i assume you dont use anything in bore with this stuff?how hard is it to seat a rb with this and do you have to wipe your bore between shots etc?also does it freeze.i use .018 patch with .490 ball.
I use nothing in the bore prior to loading. I swab every four shots using a 50-50 mix of Windex & rubbing alcohol in a misty spray bottle. I use an 015 smooth cottonpatch with .570 ball that needs a slap to get started down the muzzle -- then goes down & seats rather easily. I no longer hunt when it's below 15-20 degrees. The Permatex patch remains pliable at those temps.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:02 AM
Typical Buck

So to understand, we are talking a Permatex hand cleaner as a shooting lube? This works ok? If so, I might have to try it out.

I have used a bunch of things as a patch lube, but hand cleaner is not one of them (yet).

How does the performace compare to other more popular lubes and practices.

Tahquamenon
Old 07-18-2006, 08:41 AM
Dominant Buck

I read a post on this same thing just a short time ago and ordered three or four cans of the stuff. I figure if it does not work, it is still a hand cleaner...
Old 07-18-2006, 09:07 AM
Typical Buck

I have three cases of GoJo Original Forumula hand cleaner. Wonder if that will work as a patch lube? [:-]

According to the GoJo MSDS, the flashpoint is greater than 212 degrees F. It also contains both mineral spirits and lanolin. The MSDS does state to avoid freezing conditions.

I use GoJo after I am done cleaning my ML's to clean the oils and lubes from my hands.

Tahquamenon